Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bjg411

Rescue Companies

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody know how many heavy-rescue companies there are in Westchester County?

What is the difference between light, medium, and heavy resuce. Also what do squads do?

Thanks.

Westchester County's defenition of a squad is a follows:

A vehicle(s) consisting of at least an Engine with or without other support vehicles (ie: Rescue, Ladder, or Utility type), equipted with additional and specific equiptment to handle hazarous materials/WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) and/or technical rescue, that will respond with a minimum of six (6) trained members, including a company officer.

A Rescue Company is defined as:

A support vehicle, not designed for patient transport but contains tools for life support, extrication, emergency medical care.

A "light" rescue is generally a smaller vehicle, that carries a limited amount of equiptment (a basic Jaws set for example). A "Heavy" rescue will carry a larger assortment of equiptment such as saws, ropes, a larger compliment extrication gear.

I would go with 24 now.

Not annotated on the County list is

Mt Kisco (22)

White Plains (23)

They both operate Heavy Rescues

And then add Somers back to the list (24).

I wish the rescue companies in Westchester County would act more like "true" rescue companies. I know it's hard in the volunteer service, but I think we should try harder to make real rescue co. What I mean is the Rescue Co. should be handling searches as should the truck co. I've noticed that the rescue co. is the older exterior members, and they are used for traffic, rehab etc. If only we could get more firefighters to be the rescue type, that is the true rescue type, so the engine co. could handle suppression rather then every aspect of the fire scene.

I wish the rescue companies in Westchester County would act more like "true" rescue companies. I know it's hard in the volunteer service, but I think we should try harder to make real rescue co. What I mean is the Rescue Co. should be handling searches as should the truck co. I've noticed that the rescue co. is the older exterior members, and they are used for traffic, rehab etc. If only we could get more firefighters to be the rescue type, that is the true rescue type, so the engine co. could handle suppression rather then every aspect of the fire scene.
1191stdue.... i cant speak for the rest of the county but in port chester the rescue doesnt deal with traffic or rehab. on rescue 40 we have the t. i c. and we automatcaly on a 10 75 use it for search.

Regarding 1191's statement, I know there are a lot of "Rescue" companies that used to be Fire Police companies, so therefore they deal with traffic, crowds, etc.

The county doesn't officially recognize Fire Police/Patrol units any more, so to my knowledge all of the old Patrol apparatus have either become Rescues or Utilities, depending on what equipment they have...

119 excellent comment.

That number would drop if you looked up the NFPA standard regarding heavy rescue. Just because you have a big truck, with lots of toys, doesn't make it or you a heavy rescue.

119 excellent comment.

That number would drop if you looked up the NFPA standard regarding heavy rescue.  Just because you have a big truck, with lots of toys, doesn't make it or you a heavy rescue.

=D> You need Manpower to do the rescue work, not just a big piece of apparatus.To call the rescue's in westchester county heavy rescue's is crazy. Except maybe Yonkers and New Rochelle, White Plains- and in all of FDNY they only have 5-6 Rescue's, look at all of the money spent on these Rigs. ](*,)

Thatss not entirely true. I understand rescues in the city are less. but to say depts in westchester are under par is kind of far feched. Many of the rescues in the county carry alot of the same equipment, just the city rescues are more specialized.