Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester EMS Trivia

35 posts in this topic

Westchester EMSTrivia:

This is how this will work:

1) Once the question has been posted, the person that posts it will be responsible for watching to see when the question gets answered correctly.

2) Once the question is answered correctly, they will need to post who got it correct first.

3) The person that had the correct answer will post the next question.(Staying on this thread)

I'll start

What year was Mount Kisco VAC founded?

Where was Yorktown VAC's original location and what purpose does it serve now???

YVAC's first location was at the intersection of Rt. 202/35 and Springhurst St. The former YVAC building is now used by the Yorktown School District.

My useless knowledge comes thru again, haha. Well, since I was correct, here's my question: What Ambulance Corps was founded in 1961, in which the Mohegan Volunteer FD covered for all EMS calls up to this new Corps existence?

What was the date and who was on the crew of the very 1st

Yorktown VAC and Empress EMS Advanced Life Support call in the

Town of Yorktown?

Putnam Valley VAC and I dont know the date but I know RWC130 was there :D hehe

To keep this thread going.....Who was one of the EMS providers in Yonkers prior to Empress, they were located on Central Ave... :?:

Wasn't EMS in Yonkers before Empress provided by Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance Corp?

And WAS967 has the next question...

Before empress was AA ambulance and the original YVAC (yonkers vac) was 2nd due. then Empress can in w/ 2 24 hour ambulance for the city

WAS967 Asks:

Who Was Abbey Richmond?

Who Was Abbey Richmond?

Abbey is still around .i bet you never knew that!!!

Abbey was a company that was own by William Dawson they had the 911 contract for the city of White plains and techicinaly they still so . about 4 or 5 years ago TransCare ambulance came from from LI and started oppersation . Long story short TC bought out abbey. BUT the city of WP had a contract till the year 2020 or some long about of time . SO when TC took over Abby they had to keep A1 and A2 as abby truck and work under that C.O.N. ...and still today the ems supervison for WP is know on theWPPD radio as ABBrY SUPERVISOR

Nice answer but not quite. I asked WHO was Abbey Richmond. Not WHAT is/was Abbey Richmond. Yes, Abbey was a company that was bought by Transcare. Yes it was owned by William Dawson, a true pioneer in EMS in Westchester. Chances are half of us who have been in EMS for more than a few years have worked for Abbey at one point or another (myself included).

But what I asked is WHO was Abbey Richmond. Go back further. And like I said. I don't really know the answer. But here is a step in the right direction: If memory serves me correctly, Bill was not the original owner of Abbey Richmond. ;->

Ok, let's see how good your trivia is: It has been previously mentioned that before EMPRESS in Yonkers, EMS was previously provided by A-A Ambulance during the day and YVAC during the evening. Here is a 2 Part EMS Trivia Question:

1) For Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance Corp, what 2 locations (yes, there was 2) was YVAC Quartered out of?

2) BONUS - "Before" A-A and YVAC, Yonkers did NOT use either a Private/Contractor Ambulance Service like A-A and Empress, nor did they have a Volunteer Service like the now defunct YVAC. How did Yonkers get their Ambulance Service From? (There was 4 ambulances available to Yonkers at that time. WHO WERE THE 4 AMBULANCES and WHERE DID THEY COME FROM) [And it was not from the Eastchester Volunteer Ambulance Corp and mentioning Yonkers FD Rescue 1 does NOT count). TRY REAL HARD. If answered correctly, you are definately KING OF THE WESTCHESTER EMS TRIVIA !!!!!!!!!!

1) For Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance Corp, what 2 locations (yes, there was 2) was YVAC Quartered out of? Central ave and Forthill and the other was across the street from Yonkers general hosp(ashburton truma center)

2) BONUS - "Before" A-A and YVAC, Yonkers did NOT use either a Private/Contractor Ambulance Service like A-A and Empress, nor did they have a Volunteer Service like the now defunct YVAC. How did Yonkers get their Ambulance Service From? (There was 4 ambulances available to Yonkers at that time. WHO WERE THE 4 AMBULANCES and WHERE DID THEY COME FROM) [And it was not from the Eastchester Volunteer Ambulance Corp and mentioning Yonkers FD Rescue 1 does NOT count). TRY REAL HARD. If answered correctly, you are definately KING OF THE WESTCHESTER EMS TRIVIA !!!!!!!!!! [i] Well YPD provided the paramedics. and Yonkers fd provied the ambulance

For Part 1 you were exactly right! Great Memory! For Part 2 - Before A-A and YVAC, there was NO Paramedic Program supplied by the YPD (The YPD E-Rigs went into service during the A-A Days). During those days, when an ambulance was requested, usually from YPD Dispatch, YPD Dispatch would contact: FOR THE NORTHEAST SECTION OF THE CITY - Lawrence Hospital for its Ambulance (Green/Blue Cadillac Metor); FOR THE NORTHWEST SECTION OF THE CITY: St. John's Riverside for its Ambulance (Black and Red Oldsmobile Unit); FOR THE SOUTHEAST SECTION OF THE CITY: Yonkers General for its Ambulance (White & Gold Cadillac Metor); and FOR THE SOUTHWEST SECTION OF THE CITY: St. Joseph for its Ambulance (Green & White Cadillac Metor). For Major Automobile Accidents and in case No Ambulances were available, in the city, YFD Rescue 1 would respond from Fire Headquarters on School Street. Interesting side note: When A-A was contracted by the City of Yonkers, they supplied 2 Ambulances "Full Time", one for the West Side of Yonkers, quartered out of St. Joseph's Hospital, and one for the East Side of Yonkers, quartered out of YFD Station 11 on Bronxville Road.

That's awesome, Thanks for the history lesson YonkersR3!!! Too bad the hospitals and YPD/YFD discontinued EMS ...I wonder why they didn't try to continue it.

ABBEY RICHMOND. THEY WERE TWO DIFFERENT INDIVIDUALS WHO FORMED ABBEY RICHMOND AMBULANCE SERVICE. MR RICHMOND PASSED AWAY ABOUT 10-12 YEARS AGO. SERVICES WERE RENDERED BY EDWARD F CARTER FUNERAL HOMES OF MONTROSE/CROTON

UNKNOWN WHEN MR ABBEY LEFT THE EARTH

WHERE WAS THE FIRST CORTLANDT VAC CALL?

WHAT WAS THE CALLL?

WHO WAS ON THE FIRST CALL?

WHAT TYPE OF AMBULANCE AND WHERE WAS IT PURCHASED?

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE GUYS

I would guess Hank Reynolds, Mary Chopyack and maybe John Bischoff were on that first call in 1984, my guess is Springvale. The rig was a van I think too, white w/ green on it.

My understanding was that Abbey Richmond was the wife of the original owner who had passed on. When the company changed hands, they kept the name probably because it was recognized or to honor her memory. Unsure. Next time I see Mikey D, I'll ask him.

It was a Cardiac Arrest!!!! The PCR is on the wall of the office, but I never did care to see where it was or who was on it!!!!

Hey! I said that several posts ago! :->

Question inspired and created by WAS967:

What is the major contraindication for Ipratropium Bromide?

Thanks WAS967! :D

CORTLANDT VAC

YES THE CALL WAS A CARDIAC ARREST.

NO THE PCR IS NOT HANGING ON THE WALL IN THE OFFICE.

THE CALL WAS A CARDIAC ARREST ON DUTCH STREET IN MONTROSE AROUND LUNCH TIME.

THE AMBULANCE WAS A OLD CADILAC WHICH WAS PURCHASED FROM PUTNAM VALLEY VAC.

I DO KNOW THE NAME OF THE PT THOUGHT THAT IS WITHHELD DUE TO CONFIDENTIALLITY.

THE CREW WAS :

EMT EDDIE CARTER

EMT JOE JACKSON

EMT BOB OUTHOUSE

AND POP JACKSON DROVE TO THE HOSPITAL FOR US

THE PATIENT WAS TRANSPORTED TO PEEKSKILL ER

AND BELIEVE IT OR NO THE SECOND CALL WAS ALSO A CARDIAC ARREST AT SPRINGVALE

I believe the pcr is on the wall in the office, in fact I believe that I have seen it...all the way in the back between the windows.

no totally wrong it is not hanging on the wall never has been there.plus if it were that would be a violation of hippa

Wow, I'm suprised nobody even took a shot at the Ipratropium question. Guess there aren't too many medics in the forums. Anyways, it's not THE major but A major contraindication, and it's often overlooked or unknown by the people giving it: Peanutt and Soy allergies. Ipratropium Bromide is sy:nthesised from Soya Letchin which can precipitate an allergic reaction in people hypersensitive to Peanuts and Soy Beans. Since peanut allergies are some of the more severe allergic reactions I've seen, it's best to make sure you gather a detailed history before giving ANY medication. ;->

Do I win despite being the source of the question? :->

Okay it's been a while. Here's a good one I thought up while reading the Fire Trivia. Name the only volunteer ambulance agency in Westchester County (to my knowledge) who ran 4 ambulances up until the mid 90s. Name the agency that the 4th ambulance was sold to, and the maker of the ambulance that was sold. Bonus points for it's designation. :->

WAS...

It was Peekskill Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps now known as Peekskill EMS.

They ran 4 Ambulances. 7501, 7502, 7503, and 7504

7504 was a Braun which was sold to Croton FD "55B2"

It's now owned by the Forman for the Croton Water Dept.

I think it was a 1984 but I am not 100% sure.

Peekskill EMS now runs 3 Ambulances 75B1, 75B2, and 75B3

Just to add some more before the Braun days 7504 was a Ford.

I wanna say maybe a late 60's early 70's? It was primarily used as a Supply Unit, MCI's, Fire Standby's, Etc. It was set up with extra supplies and could transport if needed.

In the early 80's when the Braun was purchased the Ford was sold to Peekskill PD.

It was used as an ESU Truck. In the mid 90's the Ford was retired by PPD and sold to a local repairman. I have not seen it around in a long time.

ALRIGHTY THEN!!!! How did I do? :D