Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

PD "Ghost" Cars

6 posts in this topic

An interesting concept in Police Car lettering catching on in the Michigan area. I found on another board.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...0064&p=72189743

The lettering is reflective, however "low profile" being a light shade, and low contrast with the car.

I'm just curious if any agency around here uses this concept. I think it's a neat concept for the slicktops.

I don’t know of any departments around here using them, but they seem to be pretty popular in the southern states and the southwest. The ones I’ve seen where used by state troopers they are used as “Aggressive Driving Traffic Cars”. From what I’ve seen they work well. Especially when they are used with different cars like camaro’s, and suv’s with tinted windows you have no idea it’s a cop until it’s too late.

I have not seen them in the area yet. Would make for a great radar car set up. Especially in a dim light area.

I have seen Fire Dept vehicles with White reflective on white paint which is great because it shows up at night but gives a less busy style to the car during the day.Same would work with red paint and red reflective.

It does look cool, but why not just go un-marked. Whats the point of being "a little" marked??

It does look cool, but why not just go un-marked.  Whats the point of being "a little" marked??

Here in N.J. in the past couple of years their have been many instances where thugs posing as cops have stopped and robbed people in look-a-like police cars. NJSP has a few cars that are black, stealth FCV's. with greyish looking graphics on them. Also as a G.O. they cannot patrol in unmarked cars while in plain clothes. They must be in uniform. The local Municipalities often patrol in unmarked cars of all sorts but are generally used for narco/street crime stuff. NJSP will often clock someone speeding in a stealth or unmarked and then pull along side so the driver see's the graphics or their uniform and doesn't hesitate to pull over. It makes for a safe environment for everyone. In JC we use all sorts of vehicles including taxi cabs and ice cream trucks. But again they are primarily used for surveilance and are not likely to be used for a car stop so the vehicle doesn't get burned. I do like that black on grey look its very sneaky.