Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scanner Model and abilities?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone know of a decent scanner that can be used now and going forward with the new trunked systems (or does it matter). Would like to be able to pick up 60 control as well as fireground radios within a reasonable distance.

Pro 96 from Radio Shack is an excellent choice. You can’t go wrong. It is a portable digital scanner. You are able to pick of pretty much anything with it. I am 100% satisfied.

the Bearcat 785 or 796 base is great. if you handheld...the BC250 with card is the way to go...but its $$$$$.

Pro 96 from Radio Shack is an excellent choice.  You can’t go wrong.  It is a portable digital scanner.  You are able to pick of pretty much anything with it.  I am 100% satisfied.

Mike How much does it cost?

Pro 96 from Radio Shack is an excellent choice.  You can’t go wrong.  It is a portable digital scanner.  You are able to pick of pretty much anything with it.  I am 100% satisfied.

I have this scanner. With a 3ft. antenna and magnetic mount base. I can hear portables in Peekskill and I picked up 60 Control an hour into NJ from the GWB.

About $100.

Anyone know of a decent scanner that can be used now and going forward with the new trunked systems (or does it matter). Would like to be able to pick up 60 control as well as fireground radios within a reasonable distance.

Just got the uniden bcd396t. Its a portable does all the trunking and digital stuff. One cool thing it has is fire department tone out. You can program it to act just like your pager and alert you when theres a call. Price is kinda high at around $529.00

Its more than $100. If you get it new from RS it is $500. Heres a link...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...t%5Fid=20%2D526

The base model digital scanners are slightly better than the portables based on conversations with others having the portables.BC785 is quite good, and since it's discontinued, you can get it pretty cheap. Try scannermaster.com

I have the PRO-95 Dual Trunking 1000 Channel w/10 banks. I would love to upgrade to the 96 since I have so much luck with the 95, but some things have to wait! I got the 95 gently used for $130 a year and a half ago on Ebay. I like all the features, mostly the clairity and range. The banks are handy too because I spend as much time in Florida as I do in NY, so I just switch banks depending on where I am. Both my husband and son "borrow" it all the time and they tell me they like it because of the anywhere reception. I like that you can program it using software, instead of having to hand input. You can also label the channel so you can tell which you are listening to at any given time. Great scanner for the money.

www.Radioreference.com is an exellent site for reviews of scanners. Check out their forums section.

FYI - Westchester's new trunked system will be analog, so if you want to save a few $, get an analog only trunked scanner.

Rockland is proposing a digital UHF system (see other post in this forum).

RadioShack through their Commercial Sales Division offers "significant" discounts on their scanners when you purchase in volume. If anyone is interested in this, e-mail me and I will give you the info I have for this offer.

I picked up the Pro2051 on ebay several months ago and it is a great little base/mobile analog only trunked scanner.

Thanks, the key info in there is that the trunked system that is coming is going to be analog (I checked the DES website and that is true), that can save me some $$ since I don't need a digital. I'll check the website for one of the above scanners, I am looking for range (to listen in on the 2 watt fireground) and to of course hear the portables/vehicles-to-60 Control.

Your reception range is greatly affected by the antenna you connect to the scanner. Obviously the higher the antenna is the better the reception.