Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD669

HZ Tones for Putnam County Fire

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone have the HZ tones for brewster fire?

Brewster has a fire tone, a pager tone, an ambulance tone and an officers tone. They don't have thier own HazMat tone. they use the County Team

billo647,

If you can record the tones you want, I can point you to a program that will decode them and tell you the HZ. Unless someone of course has the info already.

i will try to get them--p.s. i dont need hazmat,just the (hz) tones for fd,ems

Cable Guy!!!!!

you ask--you receive

For Brewster I have

707.3 -- 524.8 (Alert)

707.3 -- 582.1 (Ems)

1123.0 -- 855.5 (unknown)

Any other Putnam tones you need let me know

and for the record--the team tones are as follows

Investigation Team--long 592.5

HazMat Team-- 802.5

Can someone explain this to me?? I would love to have Lake Carmels tones as wav files on my computer. Not sure about numbers, etc. All thumbs when it comes to encoders, etc.

If you want to make a wav file and you have a scanner, you can get a cable to connect your scanner to your computer and use any recording program to record stuff from the scanner. Most decent recording programs will output to WAV or MP3 format. IF you want further help, let me know, I can walk you through it.

ok WAS you peeked my interest, what cable, what program??????

Thanks PVFD113. This will help start the Putnam collection. B)

Cable will depend on your scanner. Most scanners I know have a mono 1/8" plug (is there such a thing as a stereo scanner anyone?). Some higher end scanners/recievers have a stereo plug so that you can hear in both ears when you plug in the headphones. Volume is usually controlled by the volume knob. Some scanners have it so that when you plug in a headphone, it kills the external speaker. Not a big deal but would be nice to be able to hear your scanner from the scanner, but later on you can hear it through your computer speakers.

To keep this to the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) we'll avoid any electonic tinkering and soldering by just going to Radio Shack and getting a generic 1/8" stereo male to male cable of appropriate length (3 to 6' should do fine). Tune the scanner to the dispatch channel. TURN THE VOLUME TO LOW.

Plug one end of the 1/8" plug cord into the scanner's earphone port. Now take it to your computer. Obviously your computer must have a sound card. Most computers (aside from newer ones with fancy sound systems) have THREE 1/8" sockets on the back for sound: LINE IN, LINE OUT, and HEADPHONES. The one you want here is the LINE IN port. (Refer to your computer manual if you don't know which on it is.) Reason you want the volume on your scanner low is because line in is not meant to take amplified signals, so the lower the volume to start the less chance of blowing something up (not literally). (If you have a high end scanner with a line out connector, then hook into that as you have the best of both worlds.)

In whatever verison of windows you are running, open up the audio control panel (right click on your speaker icon near the clock and open volume controls). Make sure the line in section is not muted. If you have the speakers on you should be able to hear what is being fed into your line port. Turn off the squelch on the scanner so it's all static. Slowly bring up the volume on the scanner - you should hear static now coming from your computer. If not we need to trouble shoot.

Now for recording. For this we will use the built in sound recorder in windows. Basic but functional.

[to be continued]

still waiting for the continuation........lol

DOH....sorry. Have some time now so here we go. Hopefully by now you've been successful in getting the sound from the scanner to come through the speakers on your computer. If not, we need to do some debugging.

Now that you have sound, we can work on recording. We'll start with the basic, built into Windows sound recording program. Here in Windows 2000 it's located under Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder. Once it's open all you have to do is hit the record button (the red circle) when you hear what you want to grab. Obviously, unless you are psychic or catch a test, you need to record and wait. Once you hear the HZ tones go out that you want, just hit stop. You should then be able to play back what you have just recorded. You may also need to fiddle with your sound levels in the aforementioned Volume controls and via your scanner volume (if applicable). Once you find the spot where the desired sound bit is, you can then edit out the rest. Sound Recorder has an options under "edit" in the menu to delete before/after current position. Just position the slider just before the sound clip starts, then hit "delete before current position". Then play to the end of the clip, pause and the hit "delete after current position". Viola. You should now have a sound clip that can then be saved as a WAV file.

Any questions?

I don't do much in the way of sound editing but if you want something better than sound recorder I can consult with afriend who is a sound engineer and see if she can recommend and other programs. She also is a Mac person so if you use Mac I can find some programs for your platform as well. If you use Linux, PM me. We shall have to talk. ;->

was you are my hero you are the coolest

if some people do this did you think we could have sound bites of recent EMTBRaVO Ia

Thanks WAS..................

If I were to post sound bites myself I'd probably offset the freq or find someone to make it so that some dummy can't just key up the radio and play the tones to set off pagers maliciously. Or am I being too paranoid? Comments?