Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Yonkers Engine 306

13 posts in this topic

New ALF Eagle should be in town next week for trials/acceptance testing. Only other rigs on the scope are new battallion SUV's.

New here -

The new Mask Service rig is due in a few weeks also. It will be on a Freightliner chassis(commercial cab) and should be nice!

6-Engine's new rig has been upgraded to a stainless steel body.

Awesome, Thanks for the info!!!

I hope the new Battalion cars are 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cabs with 5/7 Hemi!!! LOL

Is the new MSU gonna be an ALF body?

Also, whats the reason for going with the stainless steel upgrade?

Thanks J!!!! Looks Nice!!! I notice the updated 2004 ALF Eagle cab makes it look slightly different than the previous ALF engines delivered.

Whats the wording over the front windshield?

Reason for to stainless, is ALF is pushing that body and upgraded it free of charge to us. We now have 7 ALF apparatus (and they want to keep us). Above the windshield on 306 is "Nodine Hill" 6-Engines first due area(and 04-1 rig #).

That Engine's sure gonna see some work.....nice to see it while it's still nice n' shiny.

When YFD spec'd out for the New E-306, did they add anything different for this ALF Eagle then they did for E-308, 309, & 313, given E306 (along with E-303) are the 2 busiest Engine Companies in the City Of Yonkers and have to hold up under the most brutal of conditions? Also, what is YFD planning on doing with the Old E-306 (Mack CF) and are they planning on replacing E-303 soon as well?

are E-303 and 311 the only old engines still remaninig to await an upgrade?

6-Engine is spec'd as the rest with some minor changes. All the new rigs are spec'd out Very Well by the DC in charge of that. We are quite impressed with the caliber of rigs we are receiving the last few years! 303 is running a 1990 Mack (old 307) which was refurbed last year. 311 is running a 1993 Mack (old 313) also refurbed. besides 11 & 3 ,314's 1994 Sutphen is not in good shape. The other 2 Sutphen's (ex-303, Ex-311)are reserve Engines now. We didn't have much luck with them. The old 306 will become a reserve rig. Hopes are to one day put it in the museum, as it was the last Mack CF Engine built.

That is great news about how much YFD likes the ALF Rigs. What was it about the Sutphens that caused problems (ie: Old E303 and Old E311)? How are the plans coming for the YFD Muesum at Old Station 8? YFD definately should "clean up" the old E306 and place it in the New Muesum (Should not use it as a reserve). How is the ALF Rescue 1 holding up? I remember (fondly) the Old 1958 Mack Box Rescue that served Yonkers very very well for so many years. Does YFD plan on changing out FOAM 1 anytime soon? As far as front line rigs, I would think that with the exception of E303, E311 and E314, you are pretty much set? I would be greatly interested in knowing what you think. Thanks!

-The plans for the Museum are at a crawl to say the least.

-The Sutphens fell apart, and were POS (second only to the Continentals)

-R1 is holding up well, It's a bit banged up - we run it pretty hard citywide. We have so many tools on it, we quicky outgrew the rig.

-The old 58' Rescue was nice, although very underpowered for the hills of Yonkers (as told by the Oldtimers).

-The Foam rig will be as is (as far as I know) for now.

-14,11,3 and L74 will be replaced also in the next few years, and then around the cycle again. (usually every 10-years)

..Hope this answers your ??'s 8)

Thanks for the Update. My late cousin (Fred Hoffman) was with YFD for many years. I have fond memories of the Old '58 Box Mack Rescue (Transported me to Lawrence Hospital, after a traffic accident, back in the early '60's, since all Hospital Ambulances were unavailable). Question on Rescue 1. I know (as was the Old '58 Box Mack Rescue Truck) that it is quartered with TL71 at Fire Headquarters. Since R1 goes out on all "Full Assignments" as well as Traffic Accidents and Emergencies "City Wide" why doesn't YFD quarter R1 somewhere "Centrally" in Yonkers, rather than at Headquarter? Maybe a more centralized location would help ease the pounding that R1 Takes. Given that pounding, is YFD Glad that they went with the ALF Heavy Rescue Unit, say rather than a Salisbury or other Rescue Unit? Also, thanks for the Info on the Sutphens. I remember the Continentials (I also heard they were a Hunk of Junk). I remember that the Old ALF Engine 2 (later 305) was refurbed by Continential for YFD as was one of the old Aerial Ladders. They "Never" held up well (Someone in Purchasing within the City Of Yonkers needed to have their head examined when they went with those Continential Compacs. Do you remember the ALF Tillers of the Mid 80's?