Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Portable Radios

7 posts in this topic

Are there any portable radios on the market that can be programmed for Low Band, VHF and UHF at the same time?

For example:

Channel 1 - 46.26

Channel 2 - 155.94

Channel 3 - 465.555

Are there any portable radios on the market that can be programmed for Low Band, VHF and UHF at the same time?

For example:

Channel 1 - 46.26

Channel 2 - 155.94

Channel 3 - 465.555

You are not going to find a portable radio to do all that. You might find something to do Vhf and UHF but no the lowband stuff. As well most of the dual band radios out there are not of the greatest quality tend to be more of a ham radio thing..

I think the new iCom radios can do the tri band thing. They cost about $400 I believe. Just remember, when you're on one band, you can't scan the others. So when you are talking on VHF for example, UHF is unavailable, and vice versa...

I would stay away from a radio that does all 3--try a VHF High and UHF maybe--since there are enough repeater links to 46.26 around. Low band is a whole other ball game as far as radios go--antennae length etc--

When the new trunked radio system comes online low band (46.26) will only be for dispatch. All apparatus communications will be on trunked UHF or fireground UHF.

There are no radios currently that have tri-band coverage with your desired range for transmit. Yaesu/Vertex, Kenwood, and I believe Icom all make tri-band amateur radios that cover ( with modifications NOT sanctioned by the FCC) the VHF-High and UHF stuff you need; however, I don't think they will transmit on 46.26. Your best bet for dual band coverage is something like the Yaesu/Vertex amateur FT-50 or FT-60 handhelds. Both do VHF-High and UHF, have alpha tags that you can label your channels with, and do DPL for your UHF fire cross-band links. With those cross-band links, you really don't need low band capability-for listening to fireground low band chatter (46.14, 46.22, etc), get a cheapo scanner from rat Shack. There is currently only one commercial grade dual band (by commercial, I mean meant for the public safety market, not amateur use) on the market. It's the Yaesu/Vertex FTH-2070, and it is SOLID. I have one-it's a brick, but a great radio. And only $1200 a pop. Drop me a line if you need more info.

Edited by Skooter92

Wow, I thought they stopped making those. Several available on ebay for cheap (<100 bux), tho you need to worry about programming. But yes, they are tanks.