Hastings Worker Killed

4 posts in this topic

Village worker killed in Hastings

By LIZ SADLER

esadler@thejournalnews.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

Powered by Topix.net

(Original publication: August 8, 2005)

HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON — A popular and well-known village employee was killed this morning while working on a street light on the Warburton Avenue bridge.

The first police officer to respond said it appeared that Charles B. Murray, 29, had been electrocuted, but the cause of death was still under investigation, said police Lt. David Bloomer.

Murray, who worked for the Department of Public Works, was pronounced dead at St. John's Riverside Hospital in Yonkers at 10:05 a.m., Bloomer said.

"He was just the hardest-working guy you could ever meet," Bloomer said. "He was the type to do work for elderly people and not charge them; just a good guy."

Murray also had his own landscaping business and was a volunteer firefighter. He'd grown up in Hastings and had moved to Irvington.

Bloomer said he had a brother, William, who recently returned from military service in Iraq.

Police responded to a call for a man in distress on the bridge at 9:42 a.m., Bloomer said, and tried to restore Murray's heartbeat with a defibrillator before taking him to the hospital.

FYIThe way this article is written it sounds like the victim was a member of the Irvington FD, but I believe he was a member in Hastings

FYIThe way this article is written it sounds like the victim was a member of the Irvington FD, but I believe he was a member in Hastings

Charlie was a member of Hook & Ladder Co 1, Ladder 22, in Hastings for over 10 years.

he will be missed by the entire community.

He was my chauffer on the ambulance night call for a few years & before that we were alterboys together and in the scouts.

god bless & rest in peace

Charlie was a member of Hook & Ladder Co 1, Ladder 22, in Hastings for over 10 years.

he will be missed by the entire community. 

He was my chauffer on the ambulance night call for a few years & before that we were alterboys together and in the scouts. 

god bless & rest in peace

Charlie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet -- I am sad for those people who didn't get the opportunity to know him because he was really the most incredible person. Never once did he drive by without waving, and he always said hello. He was always working either the DPW or his landscaping business, or volunteering or helping someone. And as much as he worked, he always smiled and said hello.

He would do anything for anyone, that's just how he was. When I moved to Hastings about 8 years ago, I didn't know anyone, and he was one of the first people I had met. He left such an impression on me since then, and I realized that he was just the most down-to-earth person you'll ever meet.

My 4-year-old son asked where he was and why he was "in heaven" and I told him that God needed some good angels, and knew that Charlie was the best of the best. I can't put into words just how much he will be missed by those of us he left behind. Rest in peace Charlie. We love you and you will always be in our hearts.

What a sad tragedy to hit such a tight knit community. My thoughts and prayers are with Charlie, his family and friends. May Charlie RIP. :-(