Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

child abuse

7 posts in this topic

A friend of mine who is an EMT works for an agency that I wont name around here. They get a lot of calls, from the BS to the BLS to the ALS. He's seen a lot, so I've usually just trusted his judgment.

Recently, I was discussing with him what I thought sounded a bit like a child abuse case. An EMT was called to a residence (in a poor, violent neighborhood - take that for what you will) for a young teenager with epistaxis. Basically, the girl had gotten clocked in the nose. The father was acting real funny at the scene, and the mother was crying way too much. They told the EMT that some kid had punched her in the street, and she had come home crying so they called 911.

I'll be honest, I volunteer in an area that doesn't see much child abuse. In fact, it doesn't see much of anything. My question is basically, where do you draw the line? As a mandatory reporter, would you report that sort of "funny feeling" instance? Hopefully I'll never have to face this sort of situation, but when and if I do, I want to feel more prepared.

Does PD respond to the scene as well? If so what was their take on the situation. If you have the funny feeling let The PD know about. They can investigate further. Better safe than sorry.

PD should have been notified of a potential crime and after they were requested by you, you should have asked them if they contacted them. Without being there to read their behavior its tough. Could it have been absolutely, but without more info and perhaps trying to get her in a position where you could assess more with questions in private its tough. Thanks for sharing that, good post on a gray area.

PD should have been notified of a potential crime and after they were requested by you, you should have asked them if they contacted them. Without being there to read their behavior its tough.  Could it have been absolutely, but without more info and perhaps trying to get her in a position where you could assess more with questions in private its tough. Thanks for sharing that, good post on a gray area.

It is a tough call. But as your exprience grows, you will learn to trust thoses funny feelings. Like ALS said it is a very grey aera at times, we are lucky enough to have PD resond to all our calls here. and if we ever have that feeling we just let them know. But in my opinon always trust that feeling and go with it

Yeah, it's better to take action on a situation, have it investigated, and be nothing; than to have it be something and do nothing. You CANNOT be sued (at least not successfully) for libel/slander if you report someone and are wrong. You CAN be sued for negligence if you suspect something and do nothing.

2 days ago i got a child abuse call and it happend to be that i knew the father and i have for a long time. the 7 year old child had welts on his back and bruises on his left eye and cheek bone. he told me it was from a fall during a baseball game. as much as i like the guy i had to report it and it kind of runined my relationship with him. i dont feel bad about the incident because if i dident report it then how long would this of gone on? he possibly couldve killed the kid.

good topic

Edited by DaveTFD