Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Tot Finder decals?

12 posts in this topic

So among the random thoughts that passed through my head while driving between Abingdon, VA and Rye today...

What departments still give out "Tot Finder" window decals?

And does anyone have any stories of where you actually located a child because of the decal?

I know me and my brother had them on our windows when we were kids (well actually they were there until we got replacement windows about 2 years ago... :unsure: )

You can get them down here in Pelham. You have to go to the firehouse though and ask for them.

There used to be one on my window when i was younger, along with the windows in my brothers' rooms.

Side note: I heard that most depts dont suggest them for use in first floor windows due to the dead giveaway to perps that might be out to kidnap a child.

Yorktown doesnt give them out anymore because when the family moves away, the hardly ever remove the sticker from the window, causing a pointless, heavy search of that room for a small child, where a quick primary search could have been granted.

I've heard they're recomending placing them on the bottom of the doorway to their room facing the hallway.

So, naturally, FD doing a search would see it.

Isnt the purpose of the sticker to get the FF attention to the room immedatly, and get a ladder in place and someone in there asap? If its on the door inside the house, the FF is going to look in there anyways.

First, not a bad thought on the recommendation of first floor windows, however there was a announcement put out by the company that makes them or a fire service organization stating that there hasn't been one single kidnapping that can be attributed to the use of the stickers.

Point number 2. I do not advocate the use of them and have several other colleagues whom also share this opinion or thought process. Nothing should change the way we conduct searches and the factors that lead us to determining where a search should begin. We search according to life safety risk and those whom are in immediate danger in regard to our own risk vs. benefit analysis are those we search for and attempt to rescue first. A primary search is a primary search based on starting closest to the fire, again with life safety in mind, and the other search priorities based on what you have. The floor above, the room immediately above is a high risk, and then the upper most floor working your way down. As a team leader or IC I wouldn't deviate from assigning crews where to search or how my team is going to search based on a sticker in a window, unless you have the personnel to specifically VES into that room.

What does VES mean?

Edited by TRUCK6018

When I was in Cape Cod a few years ago, the local fire department was giving out 3”x3” silver scotchlite stickers with the Maltese cross on them in red with a big C in the center. They were handing them out telling people to put them about 8 inches off the floor on the child’s bedroom. They said that it aided them in their search, and unlike the Tot-Spotter stickers Perps weren’t able to see them from the outside. The stickers are very similar to the apartment number stickers, and the exit stickers you see in apartment buildings.

Elmsford FD gives TOT finder stickers out during fire prevention week at our open house. Something new thats starting to surface are pet finder stickers.