Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

Collapse PODS

4 posts in this topic

FDNY has placed in service 10 Collapse PODS (Portable on Demand Storage) with 2 Mack transport trucks.

The PODS contain shoring lumber, Metal and concert saw blades and a cutting table with templates. No tools are contained in the PODS.

Collapse PODS are deployed as follows.

POD 1 @ The rock with Roll-off 1.

POD 2 @ Engine 332

POD 3 @ Engine 92

POD 4 @ Fort Totten

POD 5 @ Ladder 79 with Roll-off 5.

POD 6 @ EMS Station 4

POD 7 @ Ladder 102

POD 8 @ EMS Station 18

POD 9 @ Squad 270

POD 10 @ EMS Station 22

The Mack trucks have been designate Roll-off 1 and Roll-off 5. Roll-off 1 located at the Rock and Roll-off 5 located at Ladder 79. The Mack trucks are the same trucks used by sanitation for transporting Dumpsters and can be used as needed.

Thanks for the info! Are these the ones new and the ones the Granite chasis that I heard were being built a while back? Seen any photos yet??

I'm a big fan of the Granite chasis, and these must look hot painted and lettered for FDNY.

Besides the superficial reasons, it's a really neat concept. I wonder if there are any other POD plans beyond Collapse, like Hazmat? Also, who built the pods??

I'm a big fan of the Granite chasis, and these must look hot painted and lettered for FDNY.

Seth,

The PODS look like a dumbster with a roof on it. There are ten around the city for deployment. There are only two macks in the city. One at the Rock and one in SI.

collapsepods8fj.jpg

I remember reading in Fire Engineering or Firehouse a few years back about a FD somewhere that bought a bunch of these Pods and loaned them to homeowners after a fire to store all their salvagable properties. Was a good PR move, figure no one else does it because of cost.

Another Dept I saw had several boxes for different areas of special ops. ie 1 box for trench, 1 for high angle, 1 for collapse, etc. and depending on the call they put a different box on the truck and went. Makes it cost efficient bc you only maintain 1 vehicle and get 3 or 4 "different vehicles" out of it.