Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
21Truck

Paramedic Class Info

5 posts in this topic

I'm starting the Paramedic class on Monday and wondering if anyone has any advice that I can use. Also does anyone know what book is being used for the class?

The most common book used is the Mosby book. Some use the Brady "encyclopedia" books, which are good reference material later onm, but kind of overkill.

Best advice: go to ALL the classes, don't slack off, study and you'll do fine.

Which class are you taking BTW?

1. Sleep now.

2. Forget what you think you know already.

3. Read read read read read

4. Suck in all you can during clinicals.

5. Learn now to stay calm, get used to you will never know it all, you will never get every IV, every tube.

6. Many of the things you will need to be a successful and respected Paramedic you will not learn nor get in class. You either have them already or you will learn as you go. I have a great article I wrote about this and it may still be posted on www.foops.org in their article section.

WAS-

Go to every class?......you sinner....YOU didn't.....!

Hints:

1) CAFFEINE. Let it become your friend. Within reason.

2) Find a good preceptor, who will be honest with you. Stick with them, or at least review all your calls, at whatever agency, with them. Be honest with them about what you don't know, or don't know well enough to be comfortable.

3) Maximize your ride time. Take a different area each shift, and learn it cold. Do diabetic emergencies one shift with both your textbook and a good case-based review book, and see how much your comprehension will improve. "60 Second EMT" is a good way to pick up a methodical approach to assessment and contains some good clinical pearls as well.

4) GET CLINICAL. Become contemplative as well as reactive when presented with a patient. Do the automatic things first without delay, then as you treat, assess the situation and form a plan. This comes with time-don't force it, it will happen to you.

5) Don't listen to hairbags. These are the crusty, gnarly, useless and uncaring folks who will tell you to mistreat and undetreat patients. This is not a competition to see who can BLS the most patients. It is about resource allocation, but you should always work the ones you think need to be worked. It's your card and your conscience.

6) ASK. If you don't, you won't know, and that may come back tio haunt you AND your patient.

7) Clinical coordinators like $20's. Preferably unmarked.

Rotsa Ruck!

WAS-Go to every class?......you sinner....YOU didn't.....!

I'd be lying if I said I attended EVERY class. But MOST of the classes I did. In fact, TWICE. :)