Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Yonkers Engine 303

20 posts in this topic

I have scene a bunch of pictures of engine 303. Now here is the weird part: I have scene one engine which looks to be a 1994 Sutphen with 303 labels. But currently they are using a 1990 Mack? Did they go with a "downgrade" instead of a upgrade or what? :?

Currently, Yonkers Fire Department is using a 1990 Mack CF (http://www.yfd.org/app303eng.htm). If you saw a Sutphen Engine as Engine Company 303, can you tell me where you saw it. Only Engine Company 311 and 314 are currently using 1994 Sutphen 1000 GPM with Hale Pump with 500 Gallon Water Tank. I do not believe that YFD has a Sutphen Spare Engine at this time (Unless they have acquired a New Engine to replace either Engine Company 311 or 314, which I have not heard (Last replacement engine was for Engine Company 313, to which they received a ALF Eagle Pumper). Let me know

In this edition (Nov/Dec) Fire Apparatus Journal Magazine, Joe Pinto wrote and photogrpahed a Yonkers FD Profile. It's worth picking up a copy (Sometimes available at Borders, indivdual copies are also availble from FSP Books and Videos) According to the article, 303 rcvd a Sutphen in 1993, which I remember seeing as 303 in 97-98. That Sutphen was placed in the spare pool this year, and a refurbished 1990 Mack CF/Ward 79 replaced it.

IMO, I had heard that the Sutphens had multiple quality problems and were falling apart,this just proves that nothing beats a Mack for the City Of Yonkers!!LOL

After doing a little digging and phone calling, since I am retired a living out of the area, I found out that Engine Company 303 did indeed receive a 1993 Sutphen Engine back in 1993. However, they found that the Sutphen Truck did not work well and did not hold up well in the Western Part of Yonkers, to where Station 3 is located (Vark Street). So, they (Engine Company 303 Staff) decided to go back to the Old 1990 Mack, which they like very much (as does Engine Company 306 on Oak Street). The 1993 Sutphen was then given to Engine Company 311 (on Bronxville Road) on the East Side of the City, where this truck holds up better. I think that once Engine Company 303 and 306 are ready for replacements, it will be very interesting in what spec they choose since Mack Trucks are no longer available. Sutphens are definaely out. Possibly Smeals or ALF Eagles, but 303 and 306 are the 2 busiest Engine Companies in the City and require a really truly "Heavy Duty Engine Truck" . Anyone want to venture a guess.

YFD has been replacing the fleet of engines over the last 2 years w ALFs. E303 & E306 were supposed to be ordereddelivered this year but were placed on hold by the department till possibly spring of '04 bc of funding issues.

Thanks for the info R1 :D I would guess...hmm...hope they would be a Seagrave......or a Ferrara Ultra,lol.......But L71,L75, and Rescue 1 are all ALF's and run pretty heavily...so maybe YFD will stick with ALF?

As my fellow colleague pointed out, evidently, Yonkers had a bid out to replace Engine Company 303 and 306 Macks (They still are using Macks as Spares [301, 302, & 305], as well as for their Collaspe Unit and FOAM Unit), with American LaFrance Eagles (Same as 308, 309, & 313), but put the bid on the backburner until for fiscal crisis issues. I know that Yonkers has used Campbell Supply to get TL71, TL75 and R1, all ALF's. But, it is interesting to note that when they went out to bid this past year to replace L72 & L73 (Both Former Seagrave Rear Mounts), they went with SMEALS rather than going back to Seagraves or "even ALF's" ????? Lowest Bids could play into the equation? I would like to see E-One's possibly for E303 & E306, because they have proven to hold up well in Industrial Districts, but the costs may be too high. So, it may well be that Yonkers will go back to Campbell Supply for ALF's? But again, it is puzzling that when they went out to replace the 2 Ladder Trucks, they did not pick ALF's but went with Smeals? Anyone want to comment on this ?

I believe L72 & L73 were lowest bid apparatus, the deparment has been pleased overall by the ALFs and want more (one Asst Chief mentioned to me that if he had his way & the money, it would be an all ALF dept.) It should be noted, that L72 & 73 are for the most part working out well.

As a retired YFD'r, it appears that you may currently be with YFD (or closely associated with someone in the YFD). TERRIFIC. (I started with Engine Company 1 [Disbanded] then moved to the Old Rescue Company 1 (The old boxed Mack Truck - Which was terrific for its time), then in 1976, when R1 was disbanded, I moved on to Engine 11 (which became Engine 311), before I retired in the 1980's. American LaFrance used to be the prominent truck in Yonkers back in the late 1950's and into the 1960's (Along with Ward LaFrance in certain Engine Companies). The last ALF Ladder Trucks (Non TL's) was the SuperTruck in Ladder 73 and Ladder 71, which were both ALF Tillers. Then the move was towards Seagrave and Mack Ladder Trucks, modeling NYC (Because Yonkers used to "piggyback" on NYC Bids to get the best deals). As far as the Engine Companies were concerned, I believe the last ALF Engine Company (until recently) was the Old 1971 Engine Company 2, to which YFD had for awhile into the early 1980's, when they overhauled it from a Apparatus Manufacturer who supplied "Junk" to Yonkers for some really bad Pumpers and 1 Ladder Truck (the name escapes me, maybe someone remembers - they were the old lime green trucks with a single standard red light bar on top), but these apparatus's soon became history fairly quickly. Mack C Series soon was the prevelent Engine Company in Yonkers (Again for both the way that the trucks held up and the Piggyback onto NYC Bids). It was until the Late 1990's that Yonkers went to the Smeals and Sutphens of the world, and this could be again "Lowest Bid" playing into it. Any and all comments are appreciated! Thanks

So we are all on the same page:

E301 is a 1990 Mack

E303 is a 1991 Mack

E304 is a 1998 Smeal

E306 is a 1992 Mack

E307 is a 1998 Smeal

E308 is a 2002 ALF

E309 is a 2002 ALF

E310 is a 1998 Smeal

E311 is a 1992 Mack

E312 is a 1998 Smeal

E313 is a 2002 ALF

E314 is a 1994 Sutphen

E301 is listed as it has been is service as a 'call up apparatus' being used as a response rig on certain days

L70 is a 1998 Seagrave 100'

L71 is a 1999 ALF 75' TL

L72 is a 2002 Smeal 100'

L73 is a 2002 Smeal 100'

L74 is a 1995 Seagrave 100'

L75 is a 2002 ALF 75' TL

L76 is a 1995 Seagrave 100' (Spare) but used

L77 is a 1992? Mack 75' TL (Spare) but used

RES1CUE is a 2000 ALF

The "junk" were the Compac (Continental) 's in lovely lime yellow.

E306 was expected to be delivered by the end of this year (ALF) and was the only rig left to be replaced with a current bid/order. I'll get a definate update this weekend. No other units were scheduled to recieve new rigs.

Anyone hear about the two engines and truck on order for Mt. Vernon?

Yonkers Engine 311 is a 1993 Sutphen.

last time i saw E311 (this past tuesday) i was workin a 10-45 and the crew was operating a MACK, they have been switching back in forth over the last year, but lately they have been in a MACK. As per one of the Lieut's that works 11 engine, they are going to stay w a mack till they get their new rig scheduled for summer '05

I am not surprised that E311 is using an old (spare) 1990 Mack CF rather than the 1993 Sutphen. I heard that when E303 had that Sutphen, they said it was really bad. E311 is not using the Refurbed Collaspe Unit as their unit? QUESTION FOR ALL: Does Mount Vernon FD still operate their FOAM UNIT (I know that Yonkers FD has their [in Station 13]). The last I remember, MVFD was using an old Mack Unit as their Foam Unit down at Station 3 on Columbus Avenue. Is this unit still in service and what are they using for it? Also, within MVFD, Ladder 1 used to be a SNORKEL UNIT. Are they still using a Snorkel in Mount Vernon. Thanks in Advance. PS - Also, thank you for remembering the Old Continential/Compac Units in Yonkers. It was the last truck I worked on before I retired. It was indeed a Lime Green Hunk of Junk !!!!!!!!!!!

The collapse rescue is a refurbished rig, prob the same one over the last years, engines 3 & 11 are both refurbed Macks

As to FDMV, I do not believe the foam unit is still around ( i think it died!)

Truck one, the snorkle i think has had the same fate (i haven't seen it in a while)

The Mt. Vernon Foam engine is histroy. This rig responded to Yonkers in 1996 to the Con Ed plant fire on Tuckahoe Rd. What's funny is not too long ago when all thier rigs were broken, they were using it as a spare engine and dispatching it on runs as "Foam 1." The snorkel is also gone.

Ladder 2 (62) 1998 Seagrave RM

Ladder 3 (63) 1989 Pierce RM Tower

Ladder 1 (61)/Tower Ladder 1 (Spare) 1980 Mack Tower

Also confirmed the ALF for E-306 is delayed, with no firm delivery date, at the manufacturer.

During my stay in the YFD, especially during the Fiscal Crisis in Yonkers in 1976, Mount Vernon FD's Fleet was considered to be one of the best. If my memory is still with me, they had In Station 3 (Columbus Ave) a Engine Company, A Ladder Company, A Rescue Company, and a Foam Unit. In Station 1 on Third Street, they had a Engine Company and a Snorkel Unit. In Station 2 on Oak Street, they had 2 Engine Companies, and at Fire Headquarters, they had a Engine Company and a Ladder Company. The Unit Numbers (both MVFD and County Assigned) escape me as does the make of apparatus (although I remember covering a Mutual Aid Assigment in Mount Vernon and the FOAM UNIT was an Old Mack (Can't remember if it was an old B Series or Early C Series Mack) and it had a Clear Light Bar on top? Can anyone help out on this! Also, some trivia, before Station 3 was built on Third Avenue, does anyone remember where Station 3 used to be??????

Just an added tidbit,the Mount Vernon Ladder 1(61) is the old West Harrison TL9, MVFD bought it off them, they were also looking at other used engines in the county at the time.