Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Sad Loss For Yonkers FD

6 posts in this topic

My thoughts and prayers go out to DC Kiernan's Family. I heard the news early this AM, and was shocked.

Yonkers firefighters mourn the sudden loss of Deputy Chief Chris Kiernan  

(02/28/04) YONKERS - Members of the Yonkers Fire Department are in shock and mourning after the death of Deputy Fire Chief Chris Kiernan. He died suddenly on Friday after devoting his life to public service. The long-time member of Westchester's largest fire department reportedly died of a heart attack.  

At Yonkers Fire Headquarters on Saturday, flags were lowered to half-staff in memory of Deputy Chief Kiernan. Over the years, Kiernan spoke with News 12 Westchester from many scenes of crisis. On Saturday, his fellow firefighters remembered him as the "soul" of the Yonkers Fire Department and "one of the best" firefighters.

Chris Kiernan was in his late 40s. A wake is planned for Sunday and Monday in Yonkers. His funeral is scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. at St. John's  

From www.new12.com

I was a little upset on the segment of news12 dedicated to Kiernan. They didn't have a great tribute. IMO He deserved a better tribute like major events/Incdients that he commanded etc....He will definitely be missed.

:cry: A sad loss for the Yonkers Fire Department, and the citizens of Yonkers indeed. Chief Kiernan was a highly respected and experienced Fireman, Officer and Chief as well as a true Gentleman. A finer man can not be found. We (YFD) are at a loss for words, and his passing truely caught us off guard. Chief Kiernan was instumental in getting us the high quality apparatus, tools, and training that we have today. I was friendly with him, and looked up to him to guide my career. He never had a bad word to say about anyone. He truely was the heart and soul of the YFD. I hope we can continue the path he has put us on, and make him proud ! We - and I ,will miss him Greatly !! Rest in Peace Brother & Chief. - We Love Ya'.....:cry:

The Name Kiernan is synomous with the Yonkers Fire Department. His leadership, dedication and warmth will surely be missed, not only within the rank and files of the YFD, but throughout Westchester County and New York State. Hundreds of Yonkers firefighters are expected to turn out today to mourn the sudden and unexpected loss one of their own, Yonkers Deputy Chief Christopher Kiernan. He will be remembered at a funeral Mass this morning at Yonkers' St. John the Baptist Church. Kiernan, a 24-year veteran of the Yonkers Fire Department, died at his Yonkers home Friday, a day short of his 46th birthday. "Chris was the Yonkers Fire Department," said Yonkers Fire Commissioner Anthony Pagano, who worked with Kiernan for 23 years. "He was an example of dedication, an example of commitment, an example of concern for Yonkers citizens and the men that he led. This is probably one of the most devastating things I have gone through with the Yonkers Fire Department." Outside of his life as a firefighter, Kiernan loved riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle, as well as golfing and skiing with his wife, Moira, whom he married in 1996. A New Fire Engine, a 2004 American LaFrance Eagle Pumber, called "Nodine Hill" scheduled to arrive at Kiernan's Engine Company 306 on Oak Street, later on this week will be re-named and dedicated in his honor, Pagano said. If this New State of the Art ALF Truck arrives in time, it will be at Kiernan's funeral, Pagano said.

Kiernan started with the Yonkers Fire Department in 1979. He was promoted from firefighter to lieutenant in 1987, then to captain in 1991. He was promoted to assistant chief in 1995 and then deputy chief in 1999. As one of three deputy chiefs in the department, Kiernan oversaw equipment and fire suppression, Pagano said.

He is survived by his wife; his mother, Lucille; brother Keith of Yonkers; and sisters Kate Goodwin and Colleen Laevsky, both of Yonkers, and Kerrie Carretta of Congers; and numerous nieces and nephews.

The 10 a.m. funeral Mass at St. John the Baptist, 670 Yonkers Ave., will be followed by a burial at Mount Hope Cemetery in Hastings-on-Hudson. A wake was held at Whalen & Ball Funeral Home, 168 Park Ave., yesterday and Sunday.

Donations in Kiernan's memory can be made to the Yonkers Fire Department Holy Name Society, Fire Station No 10, 573 Saw Mill River Road, Yonkers, NY 10710.

I think it was a GREAT Honor to have Chris Kiernans name put on the new E-306. It's weird...The last Engine he bought, is the last one he will ever ride...

I also remember meeting him when I was about 6 y/o. It was at E-307 on Central AV and I went there to play on the rigs, and I remember meeting him, not really knowing who he was, and what I great guy he was...All I wanted was to play on that engine. If I can change that around, and if I wasn't an ignorant 6 y/o I would have felt honored to have met such a great man.

God Bless Him [-o<

Great Picture Truck 4

Truck4 submitted an excellent photo of DC Kiernan doing his thing. It's now posted on the front page of EMTBravo.com...Thanks for sharing that photo. Those who knew and worked have expressed appreciation.

I met DC Kiernan first when TL-71 was first delivered to YFD. He took the time to show us around the truck, and was extremly proud of it being an ALF. He truly knew, loved and was proud of his job,that of being a firefighter more than he was of being a DC IMO, and there will be a tremndous gap in YFD that won't be replacable. He was responsible personally for many of the Special operations equipment that YFD has aqquired. I saw the funeral events on News 12, and I was unable to make the service this AM, but it is always uplifiting to see such a turnout. It's good to know that his wife will always have that huge extended family.Tradgedy strikes often in the Fire service, and if anything can be taken from this, it should serve as a reminder to us all how abrupt life can be, to live each day to it's fullest, and put all the petty differences,hatred, and other issues that we spend so much time getting aggravated about aside, and enjoy and learn from one another.

May the DC rest in peace. :sad: