Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Katrina Assistance - FireFighters

19 posts in this topic

Have given FEMA and US Fire Service a call, you can put your name on a list of firefighters to be called up. They are categorizing first reponders as fire, police, ems, etc. I am seeing if I can get a week off, anyone else already trying this? Would be good to hook up with a wingman from the area.

who do you call? ,and what kind of first responders do they need

who do you call? ,and what kind of first responders do they need

I called FEMA at202-646-3661. They take your name and put it in a database and then they say they will call you.

Now a better question is how to get there once they call you because i call westchester chapter of the red cross and i have heard anything from them yet

Just a note. The FFs they are looking for now, are paid only. This is for all admin type stuff, taking reports and handing out info.

For the most part they are not looking people with "skills" That is being done with the use of USAR and DMAT. As well as some local small request like LAFD sending a swift water team.

Oh good ! More chaos created by the most inept federal bureaucracy there is !!!

In accordance with Federal regulations, FEMA is supposed to call upon states to provide resources for a national incident. States then go to the counties and then down to the local level. In this incident, FEMA, in it's infinite wisdom, has not been doing this as far as the fire service is concerned.

FEMA is great on paper.....however, they lack credibility in the real world.

Have given FEMA and US Fire Service a call, you can put your name on a list of firefighters to be called up. They are categorizing first reponders as fire, police, ems, etc. I am seeing if I can get a week off, anyone else already trying this? Would be good to hook up with a wingman from the area.

Yes, the redcross doesnt answer their phone and when they do they have nothing for first responders to do, and really seemed to only want redcross volunteers for other than first responder roles. The only people with any idea of where these people are needed is FEMA. With ICS in place they plan on controlling the mass of first responder volunteers. I just called again today, and they told me they would call back.

Just a note.  The FFs they are looking for now, are paid only.  This is for all admin type stuff, taking reports and handing out info. 

For the most part they are not looking people with "skills"  That is being done with the use of USAR and DMAT.    As well as some local small request like LAFD sending a swift water team.

Yeah I saw the swift boat operators. Where did you get that info though on the admin work?

Yeah I saw the swift boat operators. Where did you get that info though on the admin work?

From the FEMA Release

"The work is non-operational community relations focused activities that consist of direct outreach to persons in the affected areas. They will assist victims in understanding how they will go about the process of getting Federal assistance, distributing information, providing minimal first-aid, and taking reports. The work will be outside, exposed to the elements and will require significant walking."

Just a note.  The FFs they are looking for now, are paid only.  This is for all admin type stuff, taking reports and handing out info. 

For the most part they are not looking people with "skills"  That is being done with the use of USAR and DMAT.    As well as some local small request like LAFD sending a swift water team.

What about emt/paramedics?

Is this for individual FF or a dept. crew being sent down?

No, I posted that number because I was interested in going. They did not indicate that they were looking on a regional level for departments etc. Theoretically, they ARE supposed to be letting "regional and local" contacts know when they are needed, but they just aren't doing that for some reason so I went to them. The operator indicated that they have stopped sending more first responders for today at least until "Some things are worked out" and I assume that means lawlessness.

Not for nothing, I believe that we all have come to form a certain bond with members of our own departments, and those neighboring. I personally would only go down with a group of guys that i know and trust. I would not want to go down there as a lone gun and get teamed up with A) some yahoo, that is gonna go off free lancing, or B) someone i dont know, and honestly, dont trust. I understand that the level of training is becoming standard across the nation, but that won't do a lick of good if you don't know the level determination and loyalty the guy behind you has. Just my $.02

Not for nothing, I believe that we all have come to form a certain bond with members of our own departments, and those neighboring.  I personally would only go down with a group of guys that i know and trust.  I would not want to go down there as a lone gun and get teamed up with A) some yahoo, that is gonna go off free lancing, or B) someone i dont know, and honestly, dont trust.  I understand that the level of training is becoming standard across the nation, but that won't do a lick of good if you don't know the level determination and loyalty the guy behind you has.  Just my $.02

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...nId=55&id=44358

This link says it all, I stole it from the other forum. They are looking for 2 man teams that know each other and have worked together before. First wave is career firefighters, second is volunteer. Looks like it is for a minimum of 30 days for carreer at this point citing "reimbursement issues" and background checks being accepted as "done" as per their career hired status. As for having worked with the guy, that would definately be a plus, and agree totally.

FEMA/DHS Requests Fire Service Emergency Assistance

First Phase for Career Departments, Second for Volunteers to Follow

Updated: 09-02-2005 10:24:51 AM

E-MAIL THIS STORY   PRINT THIS STORY

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FIRE CHIEFS

Official Release

Urgent need for 1,000 2-person firefighter teams

Our nation’s fire service has been called upon to send 1,000 two-person firefighter teams to help the citizens of the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama affected by Hurricane Katrina.

FEMA has asked the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and the Metro Section of the IAFC/NFPA to get this request for assistance from FEMA to the fire service to help FEMA respond to disaster recovery efforts. The International Association of Fire Fighters is supporting this effort to inform firefighters in response to FEMA’s request.

» Full Coverage, Images & Discussion: Katrina Special Section

Due to FEMA/DHS policies and requirements, the initial teams will be limited to career firefighters and must be selected and approved by the chief of the department. Teams will need to be physically fit and capable of working in very austere conditions for an extended period of time – sleeping on the ground, eating MRE’s. They will need to pack carry-on baggage only – backpacks are recommended. Teams will be working for at least a 30-day period.

The Volunteer & Combination Officers Section (VCOS) of the IAFC is working with FEMA to provide the same opportunities to volunteer firefighters in this and in future disaster situations. “While we understand why this decision was necessary due to the absolute urgency of the situation and the need to get these teams in place as soon as possible, it is essential that FEMA/DHS use the volunteer fire service and the IAFC and VCOS are working to see that volunteer firefighters are included in this important effort,” said Chief Bill Killen, president of the IAFC.

“I know our nation’s fire chiefs will answer this call, just as we know that the fire chiefs of these affected states would help the citizens of our towns in a moment of crisis. Our prayers are with the thousands of citizens who are suffering and especially for those responders who are working to alleviate the destruction, pain and suffering,” said Chief Killen.

Individual team members will need to register through the National Emergency Training Center’s normal course registration process. FEMA will accept the fire chief’s certification on the application forms as the equivalent to a federal background check on the individual team members. Jurisdictions will be reimbursed for the teams and teams will be provided brief initial training in Atlanta as Community Relations Response Teams to prepare them to assist the citizens in the disaster area.

For details, please read the message below from the Chief R. David Paulison, US Fire Administrator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Statement

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE UNITED STATES FIRE SERVICE IN RESPONSE TO HURRICANE KATRINA

Our Nation is faced with the most catastrophic natural disaster in modern times, and we are calling upon the Nation’s fire service to aid the affected citizens and communities. This is the United States Fire Administration’s initial request to mobilize members of the fire service within Federal guidelines.

The current need is for 1,000 two-person teams. A department may offer more than one two-person team. These people will be deployed as a team, and we prefer that they know one another prior to deployment.

This initial request is for full-time career firefighters that are employed by municipal government and sponsored by that municipality because of the way that salaries and expenses will be reimbursed. We will include the volunteer fire service in the next phase. They must be:

· Physically capable of performing manual tasks under severe conditions;

· Experienced in working with minimum supervision;

· Capable of living in austere, severe living conditions with minimal or no creature comforts for a period of at least 30 days;

· Free of medical condition(s) that would prevent them from working in these conditions for this period of time; and,

· Able to work within the ICS, provide basic first aid, and follow orders.

The work is non-operational community relations focused activities that consist of direct outreach to persons in the affected areas. They will assist victims in understanding how they will go about the process of getting Federal assistance, distributing information, providing minimal first-aid, and taking reports. The work will be outside, exposed to the elements and will require significant walking.

FEMA will notify the Chief of Department, and selected applicants will be notified by their Chief of Department that they have been selected. NO ONE SHOULD DEPLOY WITHOUT NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE FROM FEMA. Selected applicants will report to a central location in the Atlanta, Georgia area for training and further deployment. Travel to the Atlanta, Georgia area will be per government authorization in a manner specified upon acceptance. Acceptance information will also cover lodging and other related expense reimbursement information.

APPLICATION PROCESS

The application process is the exact same process as applying for a National Fire Academy resident course. Applicants will complete FEMA Form 75-5A (short form) general application which can be found at:

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/nfa/abou.../nfa-abt1c.shtm

In box 12a. “Course Code and Title” the applicant should enter “COMMUNITY RELATIONS DEPLOYMENT”and “L282”. In Box #21, please fill in the names of BOTH team members. No other course information is required on the application, but everything else must be completed. This is the form that will be used for reimbursement to the department or jurisdiction. Additional salary / personnel information will be required upon acceptance. The application must be fully completed and signed by the Chief of the Department or the Chief’s designee. The application should be faxed to 301-447-1234. A scanned completed/signed application can be emailed to: firehire@dhs.gov

The department must submit two applications (one team). Single individual applications will not be accepted.

We will notify the first 1000 teams of their acceptance and process any additional applications in the event that they are needed in the future.

Submission of an application DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE TEAM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED. Acceptance is a second, separate process. The Chief of the Department or designee will be notified of the teams’ acceptance, and provided deployment information.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please call 301-447-7250.

INFORMATION FOR THE CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT

Your signature on the application represents your approval of the activity and deployment of the applicant team, as well as confirmation of the following:

The suitability of the applicants to perform the duties listed under the severe conditions listed above;

They have passed your department’s employment background check;

They are familiar with and have demonstrated ability to work within the Incident Command System;

They are capable of providing basic first aid and following orders.

The concept is that your team will be able to work independently under tough conditions, being provided only food, water and perhaps rustic shelter.

FEMA will reimburse the department or jurisdiction as necessary for the salary of each team. It is the responsibility of each team member to retain and submit receipts for other mission related expenses.

Submitting an application does not mean that the person is accepted. Acceptance is a separate process. Do not allow anyone from your department to deploy without official follow-up confirmation. That confirmation will provide specific detailed information.

If one member of the team drops out, then the other member of the team will either not deploy or be sent back home. The Chief of Department will be notified of the teams’ acceptance and provided the deployment information.

INFORMATION FOR THE TEAM BEING DEPLOYED

Do not self-deploy. If you are accepted, you will be given specific further directions from your Chief of Department.

Each team should bring a basic medical jump kit (bandages, BP set) to provide minimal first aid. You will be provided government ID in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

You will be deployed with another member of your organization as a team and will be working with that person for the duration.

Following are items which you must bring with you:

sleeping bag;

personal hygiene necessities:

medications;

insect repellent;

sun screen;

rain gear;

flashlight and batteries.

We cannot guarantee that you will have a vehicle or a means to transport or store gear. FEMA will provide you with FEMA shirts. Remember that you may have to carry with you everything that you bring for the entire time. Finally, please ensure that members of your family can function without your presence for at least 30 days.

The link didn't work for me, but i did find this article I hope it helps anwser some questions anyone may have.

Edited by mllax14

FROM FEMA

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE UNITED STATES VOLUNTEER FIRE SERVICE IN RESPONSE TO HURRICANE KATRINA

Our Nation is faced with the most catastrophic natural disaster in modern times, and we are calling upon the Nation's fire service to aid the affected citizens and communities. This is the United States Fire Administration's second request to mobilize members of the fire service within Federal guidelines.

The current need is for 1,000 two-person teams to serve as FEMA's community relations representatives in response to Hurricane Katrina. Each department may offer more than one two-person team. These people will be deployed as a team, and we prefer that they know one another prior to deployment.

This request requires volunteer firefighters who are members in good standing in a community based volunteer fire department. The volunteer firefighter will be hired as a FEMA Disaster Assistance Employee with an initial appointment not to exceed 120 days. The rate of pay will be $23.41 per hour regular time and $29.59 overtime. They must be:

* Physically capable of performing manual tasks under severe conditions;

* Able to obtain a favorable suitability determination;

* Experienced in working with minimum supervision;

* Capable of living in austere, severe living conditions with minimal or no creature comforts for a period of at least 30 days;

* Are members in good standing in their department with an established record of recent emergency response and able to perform appropriately in a national response;

* Free of medical condition(s) that would prevent them from working in these conditions for this period of time; and,

* Able to work within the ICS, provide basic first aid, and follow orders.

The work is non-operational community relations focused activities that consist of direct outreach to persons in the affected areas. They will assist victims in understanding how they will go about the process of getting Federal assistance, distributing information, providing minimal first-aid, and taking reports. The work will be outside, exposed to the elements and will require significant walking.

FEMA will notify the Chief of Department, and selected applicants will be notified by their Chief of Department that they have been selected. NO ONE SHOULD DEPLOY WITHOUT NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE FROM FEMA. Selected applicants will report to a central location in the Atlanta, Georgia area for training and further deployment. Travel to the Atlanta, Georgia area will be per government authorization in a manner specified upon acceptance. Acceptance information will also cover lodging and other related expense reimbursement information.

APPLICATION PROCESS

The application process is the exact same process as applying for a National Fire Academy resident course. Applicants will complete FEMA Form 75-5A (short form) general application which can be found at:

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/nfa/abou.../nfa-abt1c.shtm

In box 12a. "Course Code and Title" the applicant should enter "COMMUNITY RELATIONS DEPLOYMENT"and "L282". In Box #21, please fill in the names of BOTH team members. No other course information is required on the application, but everything else must be completed. Additional personnel information will be required upon acceptance. The application must be fully completed and signed by the Chief of the Department or the Chief's designee. The application should be faxed to 301-447-1234. A scanned completed/signed application can be emailed to: firehire@dhs.gov.

The department must submit two applications (one team). Single individual applications will not be accepted.

We will notify the first 1000 teams of their acceptance and process any additional applications in the event that they are needed in the future.

Submission of an application DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE TEAM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED. Acceptance is a second, separate process. The Chief of the Department or designee will be notified of the teams' acceptance, and provided deployment information.

If you have any questions or need additional information you can find more information at www.usfa.fema.gov; email firehire@dhs.gov or call 301-447-7250.

INFORMATION FOR THE CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT

Your signature on the application represents your approval of the activity and deployment of the applicant team, as well as confirmation of the following:

* The suitability of the applicants to perform the duties listed under the severe conditions listed above;

* They have passed a criminal background check and are able to obtain a favorable suitability determination;

* They are members in good standing in the department with an established record of recent emergency response and able to perform appropriately in a national response;

* They are familiar with and have demonstrated ability to work within the Incident Command System;

* They are capable of providing basic first aid and following orders.

The concept is that your team will be able to work independently under tough conditions, being provided only food, water and perhaps rustic shelter.

It is the responsibility of each team member to retain and submit receipts for other mission related expenses.

Submitting an application does not mean that the person is accepted. Acceptance is a separate process. Do not allow anyone from your department to deploy without official follow-up confirmation. That confirmation will provide specific detailed information.

If one member of the team drops out, then the other member of the team will either not deploy or be sent back home.

The Chief of Department will be notified of the teams' acceptance and provided the deployment information.

INFORMATION FOR THE TEAM BEING DEPLOYED

Do not self-deploy. If you are accepted, you will be given specific further directions from your Chief of Department.

Each team should bring a basic medical jump kit (bandages, BP set) to provide minimal first aid.

You will be provided government ID in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

You will be deployed with another member of your organization as a team and will be working with that person for the duration.

Following are items which you must bring with you:

* sleeping bag;

* personal hygiene necessities:

* medications;

* insect repellent;

* sun screen;

* rain gear;

* flashlight and batteries.

We cannot guarantee that you will have a vehicle or a means to transport or store gear.

FEMA will provide you with FEMA shirts. Remember that you may have to carry with you everything that you bring for the entire time.

Finally, please ensure that members of your family can function without your presence for at least 30 days.

-----

To visit Firefighter Close Calls home page, click here:

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com

To UNSUBSCRIBE, visit the following link:

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/maill...&uid=cc4f467a89

Man what a shame it is down there :blink: i really feel for that whole area struck by katrina and i would love to do something and help as well like go down there but you have to let the officials handle it, let the government handle im not to big on politics but i know the chain of command and if my chief came up to me/us to our department and said listen the county is looking for FFs to go down and our deprtment was on the list and it was an organized trip (if thats what u wanna call it) then i would go without a second thought. I also think it would do more than good to have us down there right now the city and that whole area is inhabitable and out of control just chaos and i know thats what we trian to do help people and go into chaotic situations but we would do more harm than good they dont need manpower they need control and organazation maybe in the near future our help we be nessecary and welcome. In no way am i knocking anyone for wanting to go down wether as a team or and individual i actually respect that i just dont think at this point in time it makes sense. Just my $.02

again i say to you please check and see what happend if you get hurt?? check with VBLS or other insurance carriers.

GOOD luck gods speed

again i say to you  please check and see what happend  if  you get hurt?? check with VBLS or other  insurance carriers.

GOOD luck gods  speed

The only way one would be covered by the VFBL (Volunteer Firefighters Benefit Law) is if the response was a mutual aid request, period.

If Joe Schmo and Joe Blow decided to team up together, call FEMA and go, they will not be covered!

If you chief gets a request from the county that FEMA is requesting a deployment, and the chief signs off on it, then you would be covered.

If you contact FEMA directly and they approve you going with compensation ($$), I would think you are an employee of FEMA and will get no insurance coverage from your local agency.