Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

"Armchair Quarterbacking" Of Incidents

3 posts in this topic

This thread was created in result of a good post by the member below regarding an IA. The original post, which this thread is based on, was deleted, since negative critiquing/"armchair quarterbacking" of incidents is prohibited in the IA forum, and since the member did not mean to come across as he did. FYI, the comment was not bad,just voiced an opinion regarding the alarm level, which, for the reason described below, I deemed inappropriate. Feel free to discuss the issue of armchair quarterbacking on this thread.

Just to add a few things to the subject of "armchair qb'ing":

As a command officer of a job, you get reports from multiple sources. Whether it be PD, EMS or your own officers operating under you. Someone watching the television or even being on the sidelines of the incident will never know all of the things going on. The only things you will see it what's in front of you and what's being transmited over a scanner. That information, in the grand scheme of things, is limted at best.

Assuming the role of IC isn't easy (I say this from experience). To constantly receive reports, initially draw up and constantly revise game plans takes training. My philosophy is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Are there times that additional resourses are called in and not needed? Yes, absolutely. I know I would rather have them there and not need them as opposed to not calling them in and wish I did later on.

It's very easy to criticize after everything is said and done. It's not so easy to assume the role and do everything during the heat of the moment.

**Orignally Posted In The IA Forum, Split To A New Topic In The WC Fire Forum By EMTBravo 3/4/04 1705hrs**

There is a difference between arm chair quaterbacking and contstructive critisism. Its a fine line but there are times where conversations can be started when phrased the right way and certainly when given the correct background such as a picture and such. I didn't see what was said but I can imagine what insued.