Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Diversion to Stroke Center

37 posts in this topic

Forty-five minutes! Why wouldn’t they pronounce the patient  dead?

i was ontop of a unfinished roof 4 stories above the ground, probably preformed CPR for over an hour after all was said and done. The conditions that day (blinding sunlight worsened by reflection of newly fallen snow) and the scene itself werent indicitive of the Medic making that call. Aditionally, as a matter of hinesight, it was far more apporpriate for us to continue care than leave a body ontop of an unfinished roof to wait for an ME.

A recent hot topic of discussion has been that of Diversion to Stroke centers.

Times-Record Article 4/16/06

April 16, 2006

Newburgh

St Luke's gets state stroke designation

St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital in Newburgh was designated a regional stroke center by the New York State Department of Health this week.

That means that if you suffer a stroke and are anywhere near St. Luke's, you'll be taken there instead of your closest emergency room.

To win the designation, a hospital must have staff and equipment in place to provide state-of-the-art stroke care, and pass a Health Department review.

St. Luke's is the first Orange County hospital to achieve stroke center designation, although Orange Regional Medical Center has also applied. Benedictine Hospital in Kingston, Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern and St. Francis in Poughkeepsie are also stroke centers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know St Francis wants advance notice of any strokes coming in similar to a trauma notification.

As time goes on I believe most hospitals will recieve this designation.

Englewood Hospital & Medical Center is a stroke center here

Can someone please list the stroke centers in WC, I was wondering what the current list looks like. When we have a stroke patient we go to white plains, just seeing if there is something closer

All hospitals can treat strokes to various degrees. Every ER carries meds for treatment of strokes. It's the prolonged care out of ER setting that varies from hospital to hospital.

The latest WREMSCO advisory regarding stroke centers is HERE.

There are SIX hospitals in Westchester that are Stroke centers:

Hudson Valley

Mount Vernon

White Plains

Northern Westchester

Westchester Medical Center

Sound Shore

There are several on our borders that people should be aware of in the event of diversions and the like:

Good Samaritan, Suffern (Rockland)

Nyack Hospital, Nyack (Rockalnd)

Jacboi (Bronx)

Montefiore (Bronx)

Westchester Square (Bronx)

St. Barnabas (Bronx)

St. Francis, Poughkeepsie (Dutchess)

St. Luke's Cornwall, Newburgh (Orange)