Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephen morea

tanker?

3 posts in this topic

to any or if you were a fireman in a rural area, what type of tanker would you prefer to run eliptical, wetside(squareboxstyle) or pumper/tanker. what type of chassis would it be, custom or commercial and what type would that be?

to any or if you were a fireman in a rural area, what type of tanker would you prefer to run eliptical, wetside(squareboxstyle) or pumper/tanker. what type of chassis would it be, custom or commercial and what type would that be?

There are a few variables that would make a huge difference to me.

1. Do I have enough other engines to set up to recieve and pump water to the scene?

2. Am I just going to nurse tank or use a "rural hitch"?

3. What are the other tankers around? If they're all big and I buy small it will screw up a shuttle relay very quickly.

4. Not much compartment space on a wet-side or elliptical but thay're cheaper and simple.

5. I'd never spec a commercial chassis! They are not designed to hold up in an accident like a custom chassis and it seems that most accident (outside the big cities) happen to tankers. Big water, high center of gravity, long stopping distances and adrenaline.

Specifications for a tanker, or any apparatus for that matter, are those that meet the defined need of YOUR department. Not the community next door or the GSA spec that is used by federal agencies. But the kind and type that works for your department.

What works best for your department, for your operation, provides for commonality of operation between other apparatus in your departrment are the questions that you need to ask. For tankers, what is the purpose of the tanker (please say that the primary mission of the apparatus it is to transport water), size of tank, size of pump, commercial vs custom chasis, hose to be carried, carrying of manpower, etc. are additional issues that need to be discussed.

Review NFPA requirements for tankers and then your ISO needs.

But above all, the amount that you wand to spend on the truck must fit within a defined budget and can be accepted by the taxpayers and residents of your community.