Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Goose Story

5 posts in this topic

Among the knowledge that was shared, our instructors/officers in class shared with us this awesome story today, and I got to thinking how much it applies to the fire service. So I wanted to share it with you all, and see if you can relate it to this business like I did. Amazing story.

The Goose Story

This fall, when you see geese heading South for the winter--flying along in a "V" formation--you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way.

As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following.  By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

PEOPLE WHO SHARE A COMMON DIRECTION AND SENSE OF COMMUNITY CAN GET WHERE THEY ARE GOING MORE QUICKLY AND EASILY BECAUSE THEY ARE TRAVELING ON THE THRUST OF EACH OTHER.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone--and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.

IF WE HAVE AS MUCH SENSE AS A GOOSE--WE WILL STAY IN FORMATION WITH THOSE WHO ARE HEADED IN THE SAME WAY AS WE ARE.

When the Head Goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point. It is sensible to take turns doing demanding jobs with people or with geese flying south. Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Finally-- and this is important--when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshots, and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose and follow it down to lend a helping hand and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies; only then do they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their group.

IF WE HAD THE SENSE OF A GOOSE, WE WOULD STAND BY EACH OTHER LIKE THAT.

Edited by x635

I heard the part about them falling out with a sick or wounded goose a while ago. It always amazed me that they would never let any of their kind go it alone and that there are always at least two flying together. A lot can be learned from the wildlife thats out there.

Thats a great story,we learned that in my Fire Officer 1 class and more or less the class was based on that story, all fire classes should be based on it. great story

I apologize for forgetting to thank Capt. Ferguson and Lt. Van Voorhies for sharing that awesome story!!

That was a great story. Thank you for sharing It.