Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firefighter57

Antennas for scanners

8 posts in this topic

I was just wondering how many people have antennas for their scanners. What kind do you have (scanner and antenna) and how much does it increase the reception by?

At the moment, I have an older scanner (radio shack PRO-2016) which I have in my room. It is about 4 feet from my window. I get ok reception but a lot of times it comes in sketchy if it’s a down county department or if it’s not a clear day. I can notice the difference in reception with putting the scanner by the window but my main question is would an antenna really help that much in not only better reception but also enabling me to get more departments.

At the moment, it’s scratchy down county unless a perfectly clear day, I don’t get any CT departments, and I can’t get white planes or Yonkers. I live in Bedford hills so im not sure even an antenna will help with WP and Yonkers but I feel like I should at least be getting something in CT. I only live 15 mins. from the boarder.

Try a cheapo magnet-mount multiband scanner antenna from Rat Shack. Assemble it, set it up on yer windowsill, and see how it does. If no good-return it.

At my parents house in Fairfield, we have a scanner antenna on a roof mount, it runs a regular minitor pager and scanner, can pick up Westchester cty just fine, on 46.26, with the cross band repeaters now we dont even need the big antenna, the regular ones work fine.

I'll tell you, that mag mount 3-element mobile antenna from RS is on of the best antennas I have owned. I still have it in my attic and receives great.

put that one in the back of my truck, under the bed cover, picks up awesome.

Your scanner is only as good as your antenna....Period!. I have been a buff for 20+ years. There are 2 things needed. Good antenna and ELEVATION. if you listen onlt to your local stuff,any antenna should work ok, but if you are buffing,i recommend the Scantenna. it is tuned to receive all bands including 800mhz. the cost is around $50.00,but worth every penny.

Your scanner is only as good as your antenna....Period!. I have been a buff for 20+ years. There are 2 things needed. Good antenna and ELEVATION. if you listen onlt to your local stuff,any antenna should work ok, but if you are buffing,i recommend the Scantenna. it is tuned to receive all bands including 800mhz. the cost is around $50.00,but worth every penny.

where could i get this scantenna, a store like radio shack or should i google it?

EDIT: i just googled it. it looks kinda big. Does it come with everything that is needed to mount on the roof or do i need to build a mount?

Edited by Firefighter57

where could i get this scantenna, a store like radio shack or should i google it?

EDIT: i just googled it.  it looks kinda big.  Does it come with everything that is needed to mount on the roof or do i need to build a mount?

google it