Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD750

What does the county prefer

16 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed but I have a ? What does the county prefer when contacting them. 60,control or 60 control.

Like 2164 to 60 or 2164 to control or 2164 to 60 control.

Do they really care?

Edited by HFD750

There have been several occasions where I have heard:

"Identifier to 60"

pause....

"Identifier to 60"

pause....

"Identifier to 60-Control"

"60-Control is on...."

This has led me to believe that if you want a quick response, you should try to raise them by using "60-Control" or "County Control"

Duplicate post, sorry.

Edited by 242steve

The problem with a unit transmitting "Engine xyz to 60" is who are they calling? Engine 60, Ladder 60. 60 Controls identifier is not 60.

Years ago, WCDES issued a memo to use full identifiers on the radio so communications aren't as confusing. This is especially true of car numbers. Example: Somers Car 2441 and Goldens Bridge Car 2141. If both departments are operating together at an incident and a unit calls "Eng 180 to 41" who are they calling? It has happened and has made for confusion.

It's "60 Control," so why should you call it anything else?

I hate when I hear transmissions like," 63 to 42." Who is calling who?

Another think that kinda gets annoying is the "Anytown Car 1 is responding." Each identity in Westchester is unique, so it isn't exactly vital to say which agency you're calling from.

Unless of course you are from out of county, then some of us have no idea who in the hell you are!

Years ago the identifier was changed to 60 control, from county control, I beleived the state wide communicationswas the reason. Westchester county is (county number 60).

If you are on the air calling for a truck you just may get a truck and you were looking for an engine etc. I listen, too many times, on the air and hear units calling, as mentioned earlier, (unit) to 60. is it eng 60, truck 60, rescue 60, etc. Someone earlier mentioned up north, if the other unit on line has the same number who is the call for and who is answering the measage.

Don't try to be cool use the proper identifier. It takes any guess work out and helps eliminate mistakes.

There is one capt. in our district (fire) that says, every time he calls DES, "Eastchester Car 2102 to 60-Control"... Some would think that excessive and "taking up too much air time" (as is often an argument on here), but I think that is the clearest way of identifying yourself and letting control know that you are infact calling them. The words "60-Contol" should come out of your mouth. Saying "Eastchester" automatically lets 60 know which frequency to click on the screen, 2102 may not click right away with them (even though it probably should, imagine how many sets of numbers... the difference between 2302 and 2102 is not very large). Saying it all out helps. Just like when you call the hospital you say your full ID, "Eastchester EMS 57-B1 to White Plains ER." Sometimes with EMS it's easier to immediately know what agency you are just by the leading two numbers (less to know off the top of your head than the FDs), but simply saying "Bravo1 to control" is not proper, not is it helpful to 60-Control. If everyone is clear with who they are and who they are calling, it's better and helpful for everyone. Even though everything is supposedly identified by your numbers, it's difficult to know them all easily... Some other places use various types of systems. Bergen County for example, "FLA1" is "Fort Lee Ambulance 1"... that way the leading letters tell you who's calling. Up in Tomkins county (school), NY, everything you call is "Cornell EMS 2481 on Med10 to Emergency Control" (that's what they call it up here, not Fire Control, even though I think that's what it officially is, maybe it's officially 'county control,' according to the state, i'm not sure). It helps to be clear with who you are and who you want to talk to.

Just like when you call the hospital you say your full ID, "Eastchester EMS 57-B1 to White Plains ER."

Not to Hijack, but are we soposed to say it like that. When i use the HEAR radio i just say" Mamaroneck Ems to White Plains Hospital" i Don't use my 60-control identifier, and if it's BLS i just say "We are comeing in BLS White Plains." But my question is am i use it worng, am i soposed to use it that way with the 60-Control identifier

Durring my FF1 class we went over to the comm room of 60-control, and they had told us that they would much rather us just say Eng 273. insted of Yorktown Eng 273. They said they have a list of all the identifiers infront of them, and if they get confused, they just look down and BAM there it is. So coming directly from a 60-dispatcher, just use eng 273 instead of Yorktown Eng 273.

Just curoius does 60 Control monitor the HEAR 1-4 frequencies? Can they be called similiarly to the way hospitials are dialed up on the radio?

Just curoius does 60 Control monitor the HEAR 1-4 frequencies? Can they be called similiarly to the way hospitials are dialed up on the radio?

From what i heard they don't do that anymore.

As for the hospital thing, you're supposed to give them your unit number. The reasoning is that if you're coming into Lawrence for example... Eastchester could have multiple units coming, Empress certainly does, Scarsdale comes down, etc... so for places with multiple units from the same agency, they're supposed to know who has what patient... Thats how HEAR comms were explained to me... I wouldn't bet my life on it's truth though...

As for the hospital thing, you're supposed to give them your unit number. The reasoning is that if you're coming into Lawrence for example... Eastchester could have multiple units coming, Empress certainly does, Scarsdale comes down, etc... so for places with multiple units from the same agency, they're supposed to know who has what patient... Thats how HEAR comms were explained to me... I wouldn't bet my life on it's truth though...

I allways give me unit number when talking on the radio no matter who I am talking to... As far as HEAR radio stuff I give both such as Valhalla 82B1 to Westchester Medical Center. I find this is helpful when we come in and they see Valhalla they know it is us.

Also while we mention HEAR stuff. Another one of my things they kinda drives me a little crazy. When giving trauma notifications the sooner the better I feel. For us in Westchester not such a big deal as I find it more so in the city. I know people who would work on that bad trauma pined in a car for 20 minutes, they are 5 minutes for the ER and wait till they start drive for the note. Why not give it sooner so that the ER can start thinking of what they want to do, get blood, etc.