Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

How does your department get new People to join

10 posts in this topic

Recently our EMS department has put up signs in the village to have people interested in joining our department come over and ask questions on what we do or how the processes goes to apply to join. Now we have had some success with it, but I want to see what other departments do in and around the area. So my question to all of you is what’s your trade secrets of the trade on how to get people interested in volunteering.

Thanks all and see ya guys later

There is a department in Northern Westchester that goes to the High School to try and recruit new members. I understand that the head of the membership committee goes with a trunk full of candy.

There is a department in Northern Westchester that goes to the High School to try and recruit new members.  I understand that the head of the membership committee goes with a trunk full of candy.

Candy eh... well we have alot of JR. memebers but what about getting older memebers to join any ideas?

Idea: If a new neighbor moves in, tell them that you are a volunteer and that the dept. is always looking for new members of all ages and genders, etc... If every one of us did this with every new neighbor... (I'm not good with statistics, but you get the point)

I know what started me was a member talking to me at my job.He said that The job was always looking for younger guys.I never really considered being fire or EMS but once I got a taste I knew it was for me.Public PR is always good in every form, because you never know who it will reach or what resources different people will bring to the table.Usually when people ask me what it like to be a firefighter or when I am riding the medic, what it is like to be a paramedic I never hesitate to talk to them and always offer a ride along.I figure if they take the time to ask then mabye they are a little interested and I try to foster that.You never know! Department wise ,we post in the paper and community involvment as much as we can and always let people know we need people.

There is a department in Northern Westchester that goes to the High School to try and recruit new members.  I understand that the head of the membership committee goes with a trunk full of candy.

around my neck of the woods we do the same. starting out in the K-5th graders. thats where the candy and coloring books start. then the middle school where you can teach kids cpr and begin to get them interested. and finnaly the high school and we have a high school students program so they can actually join if they like what they see

Our Campus EMS program that were starting up will be implementing stuff over the next week, because it is Campus EMS Week. Demonstrations, flyers, signs and posters, dorm safety information as well as contacting our school newspaper and informing people of who we are, and what we do. Hopefully we will get a good turn out

Good Luck, Alex. Hope you get a good showing.

Sometimes just having your rig being seen is an advertisement in itself...sometimes the sunday crew will take the rig to get lunch at the local diner-just getting out in public, it catches attention and people tend to approach us about a variety of things (membership, donations, etc.)-that with the posters around town--it can't hurt, what does is cost you-a couple of gas dollars?

i moved to a new town and there was no mention by the initial, obvious contact points regarding the volunteer dept. many towns have new comers clubs that can be a good resource to contact new movers and real estate agents should be encouraged to mention as well. sounds like some good ideas above regarding targeting young applicants, but to attract volunteers across all age groups, you need to hit other, not so obvious but very powerful sources.