Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

10 codes

14 posts in this topic

What do you think of the "10" codes? Do you think that Firefigthers/EMS/Police should talk regular?Do you feel that they are over rated? What do you think?

I dont think they are over rated, but honestly...do some of the Buff's out there have to use it in a normal conversation???

The purpose of 10 codes is to cut down on radio traffic...which we all can agree is out of control in westchester. In order to solve the problem an alternative must be offered. I am a big fan of MDT systems, but realistically, that is years away. What I would like to see is a system like washington D.C. FD. DCFD has a "semi-MDT" system, that consists of a small 6 or 8 button attachment above their radios ( The attachment is a Motorola Astro Spectra Accessory). Each of these buttons is assigned a status, or level. Each "level" is assigned to whatever status you want in the CAD- In DC, level 1 is responding, Level 2 is on location, Level 3 is available, level 4 i believe is in quarters. 4-8 is unused, or is used for other codes, perhaps OOS Mechanical, etc. This system is broadcast through the existing radio system, therfore requiring no additonal infrastructure. It also forces the CAD to acknowledge the level, and indicates what level you are at with a LED above the button. With this system, companies are taking in routine boxes, such as medical locals (an EMS run for DC) and auto alarms (only 1 engine in DC) and never even speaking on the radio! no better way to cut down on traffic then that. I have never heard of the system used without digital radios, i dont know if it is available in conventional modes. This is my basic understanding of the system, i have seen it in use and it works great, i am unsure of details as far as updates or upgrades recently. just food for thought. Of course compatibilty issues for westchester county could kill this quickly.

I feel that the 10-codes can be a great thing, if they are used properly. In some situations, it is just easier to talk "freely," but it is better to keep radio traffic to a minimum. One thing that really gets me heated is people saying useless info over the radio or people who ramble on. I truly hate when i hear 60 Control dispatch a call, and you get a chief sign on "Car Blah Blah Blah is 10-17 to number 10 Main st. for an automatic fire alarm." That just kills me....60 Control knows where you are going, they just dispatched you for crying out loud lol! That is a prime example of useless radio talk. A simple 10-17 will do! BFD1054

In all honesty, ten codes create too much confusion. Tonight alone I had two units give the wrong codes. This not only creates confusion on our end, but screws up data in the CAD. Here's another thought... what is 10-29? Progress report? Maybe. Ask someone in Yonkers. If say, DFFD went into Yonkers for a fire, would each dept understand the other's 10 codes? I think universal codes would work, but since westchester has over 50 agencies, you get 50+ opinions.

In all honesty, ten codes create too much confusion.  Tonight alone I had two units give the wrong codes.  This not only creates confusion on our end, but screws up data in the CAD.  Here's another thought... what is 10-29?  Progress report?  Maybe.  Ask someone in Yonkers.  If say, DFFD went into Yonkers for a fire, would each dept understand the other's 10 codes?  I think universal codes would work, but since westchester has over 50 agencies, you get 50+ opinions.
-Yes that is very true....but heres my question, will the 10-codes be refurbished after/before this new system comes into effect at 60? For example will 10-84 rule over 10-19 (or vice versa?) will a possible structure fire be dispatched as a possible 10-75, rather then a 10-22?

LOL Also I don't think that DFFD will ever be going to Yonkers any time soon. But ya really never know. One of the reasons why I ended up going to that Oak Street fire was because they dispatched DFFD on a standby for the City of Yonkers, but quickly terminated...I ended up going down there with my father, and a few vollies to check it out.

To clarify, a 10-75 is a "Working fire, all hands operating.

Again, I don't think the 10-code system here in Westchester is used effectively. I have heard a 10-75 transmitted for a variety of fires. Not always structural fires. Of course, a 10-75 really means "working fire with all hands operating." This could apply for a variety of things.

Until everyone is properly trained and capable of using it properly, the ten code system isn't for everyone.

The main reason for 10-codes is to cut down on radio traffic, but a simple "ladder 50 responding 520 ashford avenue" is just as easy, if not easier, than "ladder 50 is 10-8 10-2 520 ashford avenue".

Also, BFD, you should repeat the address of the alarm as a confirmation of the right address. how many districts have several streets that are the same name, but different label. ie ogden avenue and ogden place, or similar names such as colonial or colony.

To clarify, a 10-75 is a "Working fire, all hands operating.

Again, I don't think the 10-code system here in Westchester is used effectively.  I have heard a 10-75 transmitted for a variety of fires.  Not always structural fires.  Of course, a 10-75 really means "working fire with all hands operating."  This could apply for a variety of things.

Until everyone is properly trained and capable of using it properly, the ten code system isn't for everyone.

I agree 100%, TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING. If you don't have the proper training you will be lost of what is going on...

Arlington, Texas DOES NOT use 10 codes. They use words when on the radio. For instance 10-4 would be...RECEIVED. If asked a question you say affirmative for yes, and negative for no. Arlington does have MDTs on their apparatus. I constantly hear Dispatch telling units to update their status, if they forget. If Arlington is dispatched on a fire or MVA, the officer will give a size up on the air when arriving on scene. A working fire is just that. You will hear the IC request additional alarms if needed. Arlington does use Signal Codes if they find a victim or a body.

I have operated in systems that use both plain talk and 10 codes, and actually I still do. 10 codes do not cut down on radio traffic, you can say a unit number and what your doing as quickly as doing it with a 10 code. Say it to yourself:

Engine 101 responding

Engine 101 10-17

Keep in mind your reading a ten code, but your saying the full word, "ten" "seventeen." So there isn't much difference in saying it, only reading it. Additionally using plain texts fosters better size up reports upon arrival which is a huge problem in my area and for other departments from what I hear when I actually listen to the mess on 46.26.

Additionally using plain texts fosters better size up reports upon arrival which is a huge problem in my area and for other departments from what I hear when I actually listen to the mess on 46.26.

ALS, you're assuming that people actually give size-up reports. :roll:

I'm sorry FF402, I was assuming that marking 10-19 with a bit of excitement in your voice was a form of size up in Westchester. Then again, some of those I deal with get excited just marking units 10-8. lol

ALS, as usual, you've made some good points. As you said about 10-codes...you are still saying the words ten-seventeen or whatever. 10-17 looks much more brief on paper, but as you said, saying engine 101 responding and engine 101 ten-seventeen isn't much different. I don't think many people have ever thought of it that way! This is where i don't see the big difference in 10-codes and "plain talk." I just think there is a time for both and you must know how to talk on the radio the right way at the right time. It seems that some people, no matter what they are trying to say, important or not, they still "stumble" on the radio. There was adivce given earlier on collecting your thoughts/thinking before speaking and that should be applied to talking on the radio at all times! It may sound silly, but i feel that all proby firefighters should be taught how to properly use the radio. And i don't just mean so they know how to call a mayday or whatever, but even on the simple radio skills. As far as people getting excited on the radio, even announcing they're 10-8 and such, i definately hear ya! I learned a long time ago to not attempt to "guess" what the call is by the sound of the dispatcher/FF/officer's voice lol.