Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Looking to buy a new scannner...

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone...

I am looking into purchasing a new table-top scanner for my house. I have an old Cobra 16-channel table-top that was passed down to me by my Uncle. The scanner works great, but i am looking for something with more channels and better reception.

Again, i am looking for a table-top scanner, nothing crazy, but able to hold in the range of 50-100 channels.

If anyone has a good scanner or knows of a decent one fitting this description, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

the best place i would go for something like that is radio shack. i recently bought a 200 channel fully programable handheld there, and it had a lot of things already in it, i.e. pre-set fire/police scan, as well as ham, weather, air, and marine, the big bonus i only paid $120 with the yr insurance policy. so one of the places you should check is radio shack, and in fact i know they have both rural, and metro scanners, meaning the reception is stronger.

Rat-shack is horrible... try www.scannermaster.com or www.scannerworld.com, There's always allot of scanners on ebay, just do a search for uniden bearcat.

Rat-shack is horrible... try www.scannermaster.com  or www.scannerworld.com, There's always allot of scanners on ebay, just do a search for uniden bearcat.

well, it all depends on how much you want to spend and what your needs are. If you want to listen to yonkers and greenburgh pd, you will need a BC 785 with card or BC 796 that comes with it-both around 400-500 dollars. The new BCD996t is comming out soon. 6,000 channels and digital ready.

I have the 796 and for everything around here it is great. 1,000 ch. monitors all trunking and digital(with card). very well made scanner.

Hey all, thanks for your quick replies! I have checked out scannermaster.com and scannerworld.com and they seem to be very good.

Has anyone had 1st-hand experience with either site? I am sometimes wary of ordering things online (i know its 2005 lol). They both seem to be very good sites for any scanner needs. I'm not looking to break my piggy bank, but just want something reliable that can pick-up Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, NYC and some New Jersey action.

I've ordered from Scannerworld. As long as they recieved the order mid to late morning I would get the next day. Can't complain about that.

I have also ordered from scannerworld.com before a few times. They are great to deal with and comes next day standard ups. The 796 is an all around good scanner.

Oh wow, thanks for the input guys! Sounds like scannerworld may be getting my business pretty soon!

The key thing to look for when buying a new scanner is that it is capable of receiving the new Trunked Radio System. The Westchester Co. System will be a Motorola type II analog system. Be sure that it can scan both conventional AND trunked systems at the same time. Some older trunktracking scanners cannot do this. If you scan Rockland Co. they are in the process of establishing their own trunked system. This will be for Fire, Police, EMS. It will be a Digital System which would require a scanner capable of receiving Digital Systems.

Wow a bearcat 796 huh?? Still using that original BC 210. Older then me but works great (for now untill all the new stuff is in place)!

Check out Scannermater, scannerworld and in CT I've never had a problem with Lentini communications in Newington. The have a website and have decent shipping rates.

I have two 780's, on for the car with ScannerMaster's remote head (lot of money but woth the investment if you don't want to cut holes or have space for a scanner). Both run good, and the only APCO 25 system that is near me is CSP but I don;t want to listen to them.

Another good one is the BCT-8, trucnking, non P25 and does not have PL/DPL but a good mobile scanner. I think it's a cross between the 350C and the old BC200 100 chennel (I think I got this model number wrong)

Thanks guys for all the info. I've had a scanner for quite some time now (an old 16-channel Cobra that was handed down to me), but i just need better reception/more channels. Another thing is that i just recently started actually paying attention the scanner and i don't know much about frequencies and the trunked systems. So everybodys input is definately appreciated!

Izzy...I looked at the Uniden BCT8 and it looks like i may order that one. It has everything i was looking for and is definately in my price range!