Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Meeker Jr

What is a rescue squad?

11 posts in this topic

I would love everyones input on what you feel constitutes a rescue squad or team.

What qualifications should a FF have to be a team member and what work is the squad expected to do.

I have my own ideas but want to know what others have or would do. I do not know of any other formal rescue squads so if you know of any site to go see let me know.

Thanks and lets have some fun

I would say it's been an evolution. Rescue Squads evolved into the heavy rescues of today. Squads were manpower units that evolved into the multi-functional units they are. Then there's the Rescue Squads like found in Jersey. Or VAC's like we have. As for qualifications, I have no clue.

TRY LOOKING FOR THE PARAMUS NJ RESCUE SQUAD THEY ARE PRETTY BIG AND THEY HAVE ALOT OF MEMBERS MAYBE A GOOGLE SEARCH WILL TURN THEM UP. YOU WILL GET SOME INFO YOU MAYBE LOOKING FOR FROM THEM.

Over here in Orange County a Squad is:

A engine with full engine tools

A engine with a full component of Truck Co Tools

A engine that can operate as a fast team

A engine with a varity of Rescue Co tools ( spreaders, omnitool etc...)

A engine that has manpower which can be split up into 2 groups or more

Are you asking about a rescue squad or a rescue company? A rescue squad is refering more to an ambulance.

I guess I am talking about a rescue company. I also wanted to see what people had on their minds with regard to fire rescue.

I envision a company of individuals that train together on rescue technics that can be deployed at any scene where life is at stake. FAST teams and any other operation where we are there to rescue.

I want to try to set up a department team that can then train with other departments and hopefully develope specialties and share team members.

I will let you know where it goes as I try to move forward.

we're obviously looking at the best here, what about the worst setups ?

what dept's have rigs and or units that in some peoples opinion are ill equipped ?

not looking to poke fun but you can learn from seeing both sides.

heres an example so im not just looking to "pick on others"

http://www.lynbrookfd.org/images/heavyrescue.jpg

This is the only pic we have of it but its our "extrication team vehicle". Its no where near a heavy rescue, it was spec'ed out as a multi patient ambulance, but it was impossible to load patients in the rear. It was also supposed to be one of thoes we do it all ambulances. Just the basics in this rig, one reel, 2 power units. I can go on and on but you get my point.

Living in a town that has 1 major state roadway, 2 major county roadways and about 3-4 less than major county roads crossing through it, you think the town would put more into this rig than others.

Many of the Washington DC Metro Area Dept.'s run the Rescue Squads or Rescue Engine/Squad....

Not sure ENTIRELY what is required of the rescue-squad or engines in the area...have looked on Prince Georges and Calvert County sites but have not been able to find the requirements. However, definitely the models to check out. Here are some to look at:

Kentland FD Rescue-Engine 333 RE-333

Dunkirk, MD FD - Check out the Squad, 2003 Seagrave 1500/500...they make a special note that it's not a squad by county standards until they added a cascade system.

Wheaton Rescue Squad - 2 Heavy Rescues resonding on working fires and pins as well as others...over 12,000 runs a year.

Hyattsville FD Rescue Squad

Berwyn Heights FD - 2 Heavy Rescue Squads

Laurel Hills Rescue Squad running a rescue-squad and rescue-engine as well as several ambulances.

Enough Equip., not enough? .... I'm curious as well.