Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danb

EMT-B Onsite testing

10 posts in this topic

Hello

Got a quick question. I'm taking the test at Laguadia College (Onsite)

Now they grade your test then and there, but assuming you pass the practicle part of the test and the writen onsite how long does it take to get your EMT card so you can be an active EMT?

Thanks

Dan

I believe.........they print you out a document that becomes a temporary ID until the real one arrives in the mail. To take the written you will have passed the skills, so you can technically function as an EMT the following morning. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe.........they print you out a document that becomes a temporary ID until the real one arrives in the mail. To take the written you will have passed the skills, so you can technically function as an EMT the following morning. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

you are correct sir. They will print you out a piece of paper saying what you scored on the test, and it will say "Congradulations on passing the NYSEMT-B exam. this will be your ID card untill you receive your card and test results in the mail in about 90 days. hope this help's you in answering your question.

Thanks for clarifying so you get your results and you can be a practicing EMT right after that..cool

i took mine onsite at laguardia too. its nerve wrecking waiting outside with people for them to come out 1 by 1 to tell u infront of every1 if u passed or failed.

when they come out with your results, they give u a temporary piece of paper that says you are an emt. dont lose the paper tho because if they forget to send you the card you have to have the paper to get it from the state. if it says you passed then that very second u r a practicing EMT. pretty sweet huh? lol

its definatly worth the drive to not have the months of worries that u failed

good luck on your test :D

Another quick question here.

Now i understand its "EMT-B" but there is the AED training in the course and my instructor was saying something how when we pass the test "EMT-B" we are really "EMT-D"'s but there isnt anything on the state site about "EMT-D"

this is how i understand it and i could be wrong. EMT-B's used to be EMT-D's. i think it just changed because not only EMT's can use AED's anymore, the common first responder can do that. also i believe the original training for EMT-D's including reading heart rythems.

feel feel to correct me if ime wrong guys, otherwise ime gunna go on thinking this until 1 day i look stupid when i say it

There used to be EMT-E's too....but hey...what's in a letter? :rolleyes:

Because you have (or will) pass an EMT course that has defibrilation as part of its curriculum (and which you have or you will pass), then you are an EMT-D. I was under the impression there no longer are EMT-B's. The only rhythms i thought EMT-D's were expected to recognize were VFib, VTach and asystole.

Edited by MGMedic

There are many past distinctions that used to be made for EMTs, but the EMT-D is being phased out. Defibrillation some years ago was not part of the EMT curriculum. You were considered an EMT-A (just the first letter of the alphabet, though the A was rarely used) or EMT-B (meaning basic, that came after EMT-A was phased out to the National Registry/DOT curriculum of EMTB). If you were trained in defibrillation after that, you were then denoted as an EMT-D (defibrillation, even though it's AED only). Now, all EMTs are trained in defibrillation as part of the national registry/DOT curriculum of EMT-Basic. Therefore, all EMTs are EMT-B... EMT-D no longer exists in this state (and most states) as a certification. All EMT cards say Basic...

Additionally, basic EMTs are not required to recognize any EKG rhythms. There is no manual interpretation whatsoever, only defibrillation by AED (recognizing the rythms by itself). The only amount basics need to know is that the AED in fact shocks in only two rhythms: Ventricular fibrillation (V-fib) and Ventricular Tachycardia (V-tac). Asystole is known to the basic as no heart electrical activity (i.e. "flat line") and the AED will not shock. That is the extent of curriculum knowledge...

Edited by roeems87