Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveTFD

How To Handle Violent EDP's?

36 posts in this topic

I asked an old school friend what they would do over here in london he told me of a guy he knew who used to strap them to the spinal board they carry, if anyone asked why he told them "he was banging his head against a hard surface so we restranied him for his own safety" guys still got his job so it can't be that naughty!!

STEP 1) LOCATE O2 DUFFLE

STEP 2) UN-ZIP AND REMOVE "D" CYLENDAR

STEP 3) SWING!!!

Seriously... Just leave! They were crazy before you got there and they'll be

crazy after you bring 'em to the ED. A couple more minutes of craziness while

you wiat for someone with a badge, a gun, and the authority to use both as

neccesary won't hurt them. :blink:

I can't even believe this is a debate..I am a Police Officer and a Paramedic. So I am speaking from both sides of the line. If a medic or a EMT ever had the nerve to ask me to give up my weapon.I would laugh thinking you were kidding. Please try to remember asking a cop to give his weapon up is like calling EMS and telling them to respond without an ambulance ( it just isn't going to happen....).When I respond on a EDP call as a cop. I am there to protect myself my partner and you (EMS) from the EDP.....

Just my 2 cents..... quote=210,Dec 18 2005, 12:15 PM]

I know this is an old thread but:

If you find a police officer willing to give up his/her weapon(s) to include firearm, pepper spray, Taser, ASP baton, etc. let me know I'd love to read their PD's SOP's. I have been in law enforcement for years and have never entertained the thought of giving up my tools of the trade for any reason. Nor have I have ever worked with or been associated with another officer that would. Rule #1: Never surrender your weapon.

If you want the officer to give up those tools why would you call for PD assistance to begin with? If something goes wrong and the officer has to defend himself or you we have a problem. Take down techniques are fine but EDPs can be quite strong.

My two cents.

What about the big metal clipboard that we use to write pcrs. im sure that could do some damage!

(jk)

but its nice to know you have it!

when you get a call for an emotionally disturbed person do you assume they are violent? what precautions do you take?

personally i have had a few bad experiences with EDP's, 3 days after i got my EMT cert i went on a call for an EDP. it was a 17 yr old male. he wasent acting up at all, and we even carried a good conversation. when we got into the ambulance PD asked me if i wanted a ride along and stupidly i said no. enroute to the hospital the kid pulled a knife on me and almost stabbed me. i was able to restrain him but in the process i broke 2 of his fingers by accident.

now when i get an edp i always take a cop with me, i have him patted down before we get into the ambulance, at the first sign of violence he is restrained and i put a NRB on his face so he cant bite or spit at me.

what do u guys do?

why didn't you shake him down before you went to the ed...you should have know he had a knife before you were alone in the back of the bus with him...

I was under the impression that the state protocol was to take EDPs to the hospital reguardless of their wishes because, well, they are EDPs and not in the proper state of mind to make an informed/prudent decision. Is that the case?