Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Westchester County Police Anchor Camp

6 posts in this topic

In Windham, NY (Catskills) I was on Route 23 West when I passed an old Red Barn. On the side of it was an old faded blue sign that read:

"WESTCHESTER COUNTY POLICE ANCHOR CAMP"

"FRESH AIR FUND"

Had a police shield with "22" on it.

Anyone have a clue what this is? :rolleyes:

Well, as far as the Fresh Air Fund part, http://www.freshair.org It is a non-for profit organization that takes underpriveliged kids out of NYC for a few weeks each summer and gives them time out in the "Fresh Air" There are a few different ways they do this. One is homestays. where a family can host a single, or a few kids for a couple weeks. Another way is camps at the Fresh Air Fund's Sharpe Reservation, a 2300 acre site in Fishkill, Dutchess County, with 5 camps on the reservation, where depending on the camp, kids can stay for a few weeks and do all kinds of awesome things. I work at Sharpe Reservation during the summer. As for the barn with the sign, not quite sure what it is, but it must be affiliated with my job somehow!

I parents shipped me off to that place in the early 70's. I think I went there wnhen I was 10 or 11. We would be there for two weeks for summer camp. There was about 5 or 6 cabins with kids from all over westchester county. Each cabin was set up by age groups and had 2 or 3 counslers . It was a shock for a lot of us when we went as we had never been away from home before... it was great after the first couple of days. There were sports, swimming, arts and crafts, hiking and tons of fun stuff to do.

the most vivid memory was that I cut my foot open swimming in a river, and the counsler had to carry me back to the compound, it must have been 1-2 miles and stiched it up by a nurse on site. A few years ago, I drove past the old site when I realized what it was, I drove back and stopped and thought about the time I spent there a long time ago.

Dont forget about the movie nights, boxing night and the bug juice,camping out under the stars with double axe max running around, and the top of tiddy ball mountain. good memories thanks cabin 3 rules

And dont forget about playing baseball and sliding into what you thought was 3rd ! Learned what a cow muffin was ....

The water in the pool had to be the coldest water I ever was in. ... the bug juice that was something else.

Dont forget about Blind Paul !

THANKS GUYS! Small world huh? haha