Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD750

Chimney Flares?

8 posts in this topic

My department has had a rash of chimney fires and have used up all our flares. Anyone have any ideas has to where to purchase more. I've been told they don't make them anymore. Any clues?

My department has had a rash of chimney fires and have used up all our flares. Anyone have any ideas has to where to purchase more. I've been told they don't make them anymore. Any clues?

Not really sure where you can get them. Best bet would be AAA in North White Plains.

On a side note, I've found over the years that Chimney Flares are quite ineffective especially as they age on the apparatus. A better method which I've discussed on this site quite some time ago is the "Chimney Bomb"

Essentially, you take a thin plastic bag (The best ones are the vegatable bags from the produce section of the supermarket) and fill it with Dry Chemical Powder. You can purchase the Dry Chem in 5lb buckets that are used to refill CO2 cartridge powered Dry Chem Extinguishers. The powder has an unlimited shelf life. Fill the bag and seal it with a knot or tie or zip it shut.

When you arrive at a chimney fire, the crew that goes to the roof brings several of these pre-made bombs with them. After the fire from the fire box is cleared via a bucket, close the doors to the fireplace or place a board over the front if there are no doors, and have the roof crew drop the bag into the top of the chimney. Take another board (called a chimney plate and it's preferably made out of lightweight metel not wood) and cover the chimney. The bag will fall into the chimney and as it approaches the fire the bag melts and the dry chem powder spreads to extinguish the fire.

I have a ton of experience using this method over chimney flares and the results are great. There is also a reduction in the amount of excess smoke and you don't have to worry about malfunctioning chimney flares.

Chimney Flares are no longer available, however check at a mom & pop's hardware store they may have some covered in dust on a shelf. Orion who manufacture Standard Fusees sold the chimney flare business to Rutland Supply a bunch of years ago and the factory burnt down. The last I knew they had no plans on manufacturing them again. I suggest taking a look at the Task Force Tips Chimnet Snuffer. www.tft.com It has treated us well over the last few years. Best of luck.

man some people just dont listen wen u tell them things hahahah lol. my deparment just got the tft tip and it look like it works just heavent got to try it yet

Not really sure where you can get them.  Best bet would be AAA in North White Plains.

On a side note, I've found over the years that Chimney Flares are quite ineffective especially as they age on the apparatus.  A better method which I've discussed on this site quite some time ago is the "Chimney Bomb"

Essentially, you take a thin plastic bag (The best ones are the vegatable bags from the produce section of the supermarket) and fill it with Dry Chemical Powder.  You can purchase the Dry Chem in 5lb buckets that are used to refill CO2 cartridge powered Dry Chem Extinguishers.  The powder has an unlimited shelf life.  Fill the bag and seal it with a knot or tie or zip it shut.

When you arrive at a chimney fire, the crew that goes to the roof brings several of these pre-made bombs with them.  After the fire from the fire box is cleared via a bucket, close the doors to the fireplace or place a board over the front if there are no doors, and have the roof crew drop the bag into the top of the chimney.  Take another board (called a chimney plate and it's preferably made out of lightweight metel not wood) and cover the chimney.  The bag will fall into the chimney and as it approaches the fire the bag melts and the dry chem powder spreads to extinguish the fire.

I have a ton of experience using this method over chimney flares and the results are great.  There is also a reduction in the amount of excess smoke and you don't have to worry about malfunctioning chimney flares.

sounds like a great idea!

man some people just dont listen wen u tell them things hahahah lol.  my deparment just got the tft tip and it look like it works  just heavent got to try it yet

any link to see what it looks like?

I've used chimney bombs for many years with great success. The best way to extinguish a chimney fire is to prevent them with public education and public service announcements when home heating season begins.

The TFT product is nice. But I want simple and efficient. Its easier to carry a chimney bucket to the roof with your chimney chains and bombs then have to stretch a line.