Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

NY State blamed for EMT lack

10 posts in this topic

State blamed for EMT lack

By Paul Ertelt

Ottaway News Service

Albany - The continuing decline in the ranks of emergency services volunteers could cost taxpayers billions and devastate upstate New York's fragile economy, according to a new report.

The report released this week by the state Association of Towns places part of the blame on state regulators, who require rigorous training and retraining for volunteer emergency medical personnel.

"There is an impending disaster out there," Jeff Haber, the association's executive director, said.

The number of state volunteer firefighters has dropped from 140,000 a decade ago to about 90,000 today, said David Quinn, chief administrative officer of the Fireman's Association of the State of New York.

The ranks of certified medical volunteers, including many who are also firefighters, have been dwindling as well, while calls for medical service are rising, according to the report.

FASNY estimates it would cost local taxpayers more than $7 billion a year if New York's volunteers were replaced with paid fire and ambulance services.

That would not only place an onerous burden on homeowners, it would also stifle businesses in economically struggling areas, Haber said.

"The problem is that people don't want to volunteer,'' he said.

Haber said social and economic factors play a big role, but the main hurdle for volunteers is the extensive training required before they can ever go out on a call.

Basic training for a firefighter now takes 75 to 80 hours. Training for certification as an emergency medical technician takes 140 hours, up from about 80 hours in the 1970s, according to the report.

Haber said the state Health Department should re-evaluate its requirements to ensure that volunteers are not receiving training they don't need.

Doug McGivney, a town supervisor from Columbia County and an EMT, said paramedics must take a full hour of training in neonatology, the care of premature babies.

"New York's certification and training requirements have been established to ensure that all EMTs responding to life-threatening emergencies are appropriately trained to provide the most advanced life-saving technologies available," said Joe DiMura, a Health Department spokesman. "These requirements are appropriate in light of the continuing advancements in life-saving technology and the public's trust that every first responder has the skills to deliver quality emergency care."

First of all, I don't believe ANYTHING fasny says. They did some "study" about going paid on Long Island and it was ridiculous. I would have to read it again, but I believe they concluded it would double or triple taxes for everyone down there.

As far as training for EMS goes, though, we need to know a lot more these days, the length of the initial EMT and paramedic classes should be longer. I do have issues with how frequently we have to go through a full refresher. On top of that, CPR, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS etc. I would much prefer just being able to renew my national registry and letting that serve as a renewal for the state card. As it is, there is always some damn card about to expire. I am sick of all the hoops I have to jump through just to do my job.

Well... First, i'm happy to see that someone put some facts out there that EMS is falling in NYS...

I can't believe it though that they would recommend LESS TRAINING for EMTs at any level...

I think NYS needs to investigate some other ways to keep the volunteers around... not by changing the amount we know - that's just going to lead to things like death of pts and death of emergency services workers... but by something to BENIFIT THE VOLUNTEERS... tax breaks... there's got to be some other stuff they can come up with. *that* is what is going to get people to stick around - not "oh our firefighter I class is only 20 hours now!! its so easy!"

geesh.

What about a slightly longer practicle and drop thw written? There are many people ( like myself) who are great with the practicle, and hands on things but when it comes to taking standardized test's we suck at them. And its not that we dont know the material needed because we are passing the practicle with perfect scores!

Just another thought...

I agree danb... I feel like all the written did was re-enforce CPR in my head (mmm good thing to be a CPR instructor before the exam).

I've noticed too many book smart v street smart EMTs around... more practicals would be good - but they have to be actual practicals... not "ok you didn't say your transport priority before checking vitals... you fail" - that's not how the field works.

The written needs to stay. The written test cognitive skill, remembering what your looking for in a patient and what you see and realize speaking to them. The practical test pyschomotor skill. The CME based recertification basically takes the test out once you pass the initial. Are you passing the practicals with a perfect score? Give me the book smart and I will teach them hands on skill. I've seen too many EMT's with skill but no knowledge why they are doing something, especially with nebulizers.

My honest opinion, to fix the problem, you need to fix the education. The realm of being a EMS instructor is extremely difficult and not very efficient.

NON-SENSE!!!

There are already too many dangerously underqualified personell providing EMS out there. To lessen the standards would be a huge step in the wrong direction. We NEED to make EMS a career option, not just a JOB, or this young field of medicine will be short lived.

People don't want to volunteer their time because there's too much BS out there. Even when I'm getting paid I get ticked-off waking up at 03:15 for a sore throat...

THAT BEING SAID... The state does need to find a way to encourage local residents to vounteer thier time for an essential community based service. There is (or was) a bill going through the state legislature which would give NYS taxpayers who actively volunteer in EMS a $1000 tax credit. That little insentive would make an enormous difference in pushing those who are on the fence, about either starting or contiuing to volunteer, in the right direction.

Edited by paramedico987

NON-SENSE!!!

There are already too many dangerously underqualified personell providing EMS out there.  To lessen the standards would be a huge step in the wrong direction.  We NEED to make EMS a career option, not just a JOB, or this young field of medicine will be short lived.

People don't want to volunteer their time because there's too much BS out there.  Even when I'm getting paid I get ticked-off waking up at 03:15 for a sore throat...

THAT BEING SAID... The state does need to find a way to encourage local residents to vounteer thier time for an essential community based service.  There is (or was) a bill going through the state legislature which would give NYS taxpayers who actively volunteer in EMS a $1000 tax credit.  That little insentive would make an enormous difference in pushing those who are on the fence, about either starting or contiuing to volunteer, in the right direction.

What is the definition of Volunteer-?

I don't want to start a debate here but , with all of these pensions plans , tax credits etc... for these so called Volunteers it is really expensive to the tax payers, and who is watching the hen house, The fox is.

A number of article's written by FASNY is loaded with that so call Fuzzy Math.

Regarding money for Career Fire Protection vs Volunteer Fire protection.

$7 Billion Dollars? I would love to see how they came up with that calculation. What is that, how much it would cost to staff every ambulance in the state that agencies have? That's ridiculous. Many 3rd and or 4th rigs sit idle and get used twice a year? Take a real look at what is going on and it wouldn't cost that much if you actually put crews where they are needed and have a priority system where an ankle sprain can wait, etc. Why does money matter anyway? Change the laws so you can bill people properly and recover as much funds as you can from their insurance AND THEM!! You want to really solve the problem...add a $2 surcharge to all DMV transactions that goes stricly to EMS. Add an extra $25 fine to every DWI fine that goes stricly to EMS funding. You want to open or expand a nursing home...no problem, you pay an annual fee toward 911 service. We have laws for alarms, etc, start coming up with funding for EMS and safety. But this is a 2 way street. You want funding, you will have staff, you want $$$ for staff you will partake in injury prevention.

The problem is not NYS DOH here.

1) Managed Healthcare and Medicare- EMS has been a losing battle since the insurance compines are allowed to run around making the rules and deciding how much they are willing to pay. If a Paramedic unit picks up a patient and provides the best possible care which uses $800 of equipment and the insurance company turns around and says, ok we are paying you $400. This is also true with Medicare.

2) Not for nothing but Volunteering and keeping Volunteers around is not the answer. In todays society unless your a corrupt CEO or someone else who makes 400,000 a year, it is almost impossible to work only 1 job. Being a volunteer for 8 years I have seen the decline in members because of the family life and supporting the family. Most people work a second job and if they don't they are putting in 50-60hrs at the only job. Now working 50-60 hrs a week and having a family to see........the last place I am going to be is in a building waiting for a call to drop.

3) Making becoming an EMT easier and make requiremnts less...................Oh Good Answer there! I want someone coming to pick me up in an accidnet or something that has been put through a speed class and volunteers 1 day a week and does 4 calls a month as a volunteer. Being a paramedic I have put a ton of time and work into becoming what I have become. I find it ridiculous that the standards should be lowered just to get more unqualified people on the streets.

Ugh, I can go on....................The answer is like every other State and County does. County Wide EMS systems...........Give people who want to do EMS for real a job and make the tax money that we pay go for something useful. Get qualified people in and make it a job. Take the 20-30 minute response times and get them down tp 8 min. Get the person who does 4 calls a month to a person who does 40 calls a month. Let the citizens feel comfortable that when they pick up the phone they will get an ambulance in 8 min and have people who know what to do.