Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

City of Waterbury, CT - Firefighter

10 posts in this topic

Waterbury will not be hiring off the list anytime soon. The city needs to replace the list since the old one expired years ago.

are they big on residency?

i know a BC in waterbury, tough as nails

any waterbury fire websites ?

Edited by tsinkq

There are some pictures and other information at http://www.firefightinglinks.com/

It's done by a Waterbury firefighter and there is some cool stuff there.

Waterbury just put into service less than a year ago and ALF 95 ft. (I think) MM tower ladder.

Also to they have had alot of trouble over the years with the city over contract issues and and problems with thier buildings. Hopefully they will be resolved but you know how politicians are.

The are a good town to work for and are busy especially with i-84 and Rt-8 running through them.

There is no residency law for them that I know of except hat you have to live in CT.

The Department runs 9 Engine Companies, 3 ladders and a Rescue Engine Comapny (They run an engine with the heavy rescue though the engine is not used. Something to do with the contract. I don't know if this is still the case with them. Before my friend retired as a Lieutenant from Rescue Engine 9 some 5 to 7 years ago, the engine carried no hose on it and had two firefighters on the truck, the other 4 to 5 guys rode the heavy rescue. Not exactly sure why this is so or if this happens any more).

Unfortunately, WFD operates on a LTR Multi-Net city wide trunk system and cannot be heard by a trucking scanner. When they used to be on the high band, you could hear them almost anywhere in CT and Eastern NY.

Good luck to all who decide to take the yest, I'll see you there.

Also to they have had alot of trouble over the years with the city over contract issues and and problems with thier buildings. Hopefully they will be resolved but you know how politicians are.

The are a good town to work for and are busy especially with i-84 and Rt-8 running through them.

What?????????

A "good town to work for......." welcome to Waterbury, CT home of the State Oversight Board (aka the SOB)......."contract issues......" THERE IS NO CONTRACT, the SOB threw it out and unilaterally imposed their own (with every former issue benefit reduced or removed!)

Collective Bargaining - GONE - removed by State Legislature Special Act

Work Week - Now the only Department in the Northeast to work a 3 platoon system

Pay Cut - Reduced when 42 hour work week was replaced with 50 hour week

Holiday Pay - No longer

Pension Plan - Slashed

Retirees - Attempted to cut benefits

Overtime Rate - removed

Staffing - Reduced to save money

The list goes on and on.......

Before you speak about the GREAT city of Waterbury, you may want to stop in one of the Stations and talk to a present-day Waterbury Fire Fighter or give the Union a call. Over the past 4 years, Waterbury Fire Fighters have had one insult after another forced on them.

Oh yes they will be hiring, mostly due to a mass retirement exodus.....Why so many leaving?

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you apply.

:blink:

What?????????

A "good town to work for......." welcome to Waterbury, CT home of the State Oversight Board (aka the SOB)......."contract issues......" THERE IS NO CONTRACT, the SOB threw it out and unilaterally imposed their own (with every former issue benefit reduced or removed!)

Collective Bargaining - GONE - removed by State Legislature Special Act

Work Week - Now the only Department in the Northeast to work a 3 platoon system

Pay Cut - Reduced when 42 hour work week was replaced with 50 hour week

Holiday Pay - No longer

Pension Plan - Slashed

Retirees - Attempted to cut benefits

Overtime Rate - removed

Staffing - Reduced to save money

The list goes on and on.......

Before you speak about the GREAT city of Waterbury, you may want to stop in one of the Stations and talk to a present-day Waterbury Fire Fighter or give the Union a call. Over the past 4 years, Waterbury Fire Fighters have had one insult after another forced on them.

Oh yes they will be hiring, mostly due to a mass retirement exodus.....Why so many leaving?

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you apply.

:blink:

OK so before you start ripping my head off, OH WAIT TO LATE!!!! Next Time ASK if I miss quoted myself!!!! I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE GUYS IN THE DEPARTMENT, not the political BS that the town is giving them. Furthermore The mass exodus is being caused by what you said RETIREMENTS and NOT FILLING IN THOSE SPOTS! They have a lot of members that are over 20 years that are retiring beacuse they are a frraind of loosing thier pentions. How many other union guys in this state have retired over that..... A Lot. Hey how many financially strapped Departments are in CT???? ALL OF THEM. Also they are a busy town and a lot of people like to be active to an extent.

Another Question.. do you work for them or have you just read what was in the papers and see what was on tv? For talk to a couple of them, they lover there job but not the towns BS.

THANK YOU :blink:

IzzyEng4,

First off, if you are going to attempt to make a point or an argument on your behalf, you might want to spell and grammar check your message before posting. It doesn't look too good when your post is full of spelling and gramatical errors that make it appaear a 4th grader wrote it.

Secondly, a piece of advice. Don't start questioning union and city FD matters if you don't belong to either. Having friends in a big city FD isn't the same as actually working for one.

And finally, if you are going to argue with anyone on union and city FD issues, don't do it with 786XP. You are out of your league and you will not win. Thanks for your time. I don't mean to be malicious, just giving a piece of advice.

Izzy thanks for your retort. I really appreciate your feedback.

In the interest of not boring the other readers with my resume, I will let you know that I know "a bit" about labor issues in this area. I may not possess the ubiquitous knowledge that you have about retirement issues and collective bargaining, but I bet I can hold my own.

I would guess that your fire service experience is one that does not currently have a large paycheck or extensive benefit plan. You may then be well suited to work there, since that is what the State Oversight Board has unilaterally imposed on the members of the WFD.

My advice was for any other applicant who may want to realize that a fire fighting career is hopefully a 30 plus year commitment. Do not become blinded by the desire to get on the job, with the eventually need to provide for your family (even if you have yet to start a family).

For the other potential applicants, do yourself a favor and speak with some of the guys on the job there. I will go back into my hole now. :blink:

Edited by 786XP

anybody get there letter from waterbury i got it today and my test is on wednsday apr19th at 2:15pm.... whats up with that