Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nyemt131411

Speed Drills

4 posts in this topic

I remember when I was a kid going to watch my dad and his company (Rescue 14, Ossining) compete in "speed drills (hydrant connnects, timed hose runs, target accuracy stuff)up at Anne M Dorner Middle School field. Dont know if it was an Ossining thing, or an everybody thing, but I dont remember other dept's being there)

Does anybody still run stuff like that? They were kinda cool to see? Just recently found some old pix from them, thought I'd ask.. . . .

Here in Orange County the OC Firemens Field Day is held every year @ OC park in Hamptonburgh(Campbell Hall FD). Usually held in Aug. Attenance has been down lately. last year i beileve they only had like 12 teams(5 man teams) with a few depts puttin in a few teams. Alot of food n drinks 2 go round. They give awards out after, they also have a tail gate award, n horse shoe comp. I've participated in it for a few years now, I think its great. Last year it fell on the same day as one of our softball league games. The Dept. we were playing was also participating in the field day so we moved our game there and played on the upper softball field. I engourage any one who would like to do something like this to do so its a great moral booster, and a great way for the guys 2 mingle, a lil friendly competition is always good 2.

Here in Orange County the OC Firemens Field Day is held every year @ OC park in Hamptonburgh(Campbell Hall FD). Usually held in Aug. Attenance has been down lately. last year i beileve they only had like 12 teams(5 man teams) with a few depts puttin in a few teams. Alot of food n drinks 2 go round. They give awards out after, they also have a tail gate award, n horse shoe comp. I've participated in it for a few years now, I think its great. Last year it fell on the same day as one of our softball league games. The Dept. we were playing was also participating in the field day so we moved our game there and played on the upper softball field. I engourage any one who would like to do something like this to do so its a great moral booster, and a great way for the guys 2 mingle, a lil friendly competition is always good 2.

Is this open to all departments now or still just Orange County departments? I know of departments getting turned away that were out of county in the past.

Regardless, one of the most popular area competitions is Engine 260's out in Milford, Connecticut. It's usually the second Saturday in September and is attended by departments from the NY and New England area.

The Muster Team from Columbian Engine in Peekskill goes to the Engine 260 muster every year. It is a great time. If my memory serves the events are:

Team vs. Team tournament style:

Tug of war: 10 man per team

Water Barrel: Teams of three compete to push a metal barrel on a rope across to the other teams side using an 1 ¾†line

Timed events:

Midnight Alarm: Teams of 6 start in plain clothes, 5 members must get dressed in turnout coat and pants (or hip boots) and helmet, run to the truck, and get on. A driver dressed only in helmet runs to the truck and prepares to drive a specified distance when the entire team is onboard.

Arena Pumping: Similar to midnight alarm but the truck must setup hose lines and hard suction and draft from a portable pool and flow enough water to knock down two wooden targets.

Bucket brigade: Teams must form a bucket brigade to transport water buckets up a ladder to a landing where a large container has been placed. Teams with the shortest time to make the container overflow win.

Baby carry: 5 man teams don helmets and run to a ladder. Two people stabilize the ladder while one climbs to the top, and one leg locks in the middle of the ladder. The person on the top rung grabs a doll and passes it to the middle person who passes it to a runner who runs the baby doll to a cot.

I might be forgetting one or two events but you get the idea.