Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Science Colleges?

20 posts in this topic

can anyone list a couple colleges in the tri-state area that have degrees in fire science..it would be appreciated

John Jay in the city and I believe Mercy but dont hold me to that. Corning cummunity and dutchess community

I just finished my First Semester at the University of New Haven in CONN, but i am transfering into John Jay in the City.

So UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN, JOHN JAY, MERCY would be the three that i know of.

Edited by SHFD8628

Rockland Community College also has a 2yr Degree in Fire Science...i didnt go for that...i have 2 Associate Degrees from there though....Accounting and Banking....nice career choice huh..haha

I went to graduate school at UNH (forensic science), and got a certificate in Arson Investigation. It truly is a great (and highly competetive) program. Many hands on excercises, labs, and the teaching staff is phenominal. Good Luck Kirkyprotein.

I just finished my First Semester at the University of New Haven in CONN, but i am transfering into John Jay in the City.

So UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN, JOHN JAY, MERCY would be the three that i know of.

how come u X-ferd?

Speaking of school, maybe im wrong, but i heard something about Ossining having a firefighting course as an elective in high school...anyone know anything about this?

I decided to transfer out of the University of New Haven beacause i had no interest in living on campus and commuting everyday like i did for the first semester was a lot. Plus John Jay is ALOT CHEAPER and is the BEST!

New Jersey City University in Jersey City offers a good program that is taught by firefighters from FDNY and other jersey department. It is a four year program.

what do u mean u had to commute everyday to Univ. New Haven if u lived on campus?

Norwalk Community College has an AAS program in Fire Technology and Administration. It's off of Exit 13 on I-95. Many SFRD guys have degrees from there. I went to school there and it was great.

SFRD49

Be Safe!!

Hey BedfordFire,

That high school class in Ossining you asked about was on Channel 7 ABC news tonight...Maybe you can find more info on it, on Channel 7 online if you missed the airing. They may also re-air it tonight at 11. I missed some of it but it looked like a good way to get kids involved in the fire service, and teach them what it's all about, not what Hollywood makes it look like.

Dutchess Community College offers 2 different 2-year degrees, an Associate in Science for transfer onto another school (FPT), and the 2-year Associate in Applied Science (FIR), meant for going directly into the field.

Fire Protection Technology (FPT) A.A.S. (for transfer to 4-year school)

Fire and Occupational Safety (FIR) A.S.

Im Looking at Rockland Community college, for both Photography and fire science courses. but dutchess and Suny Albany also have some 2 and even 4 year courses, and also some other college by rockland, i cant rember the name right now.

I am currently enrolled in the FPT, transfer Fire Science course at Dutchess Comm. College, and I absolutely love the course. The instructor is a retired career firefighter from up here, as well as a NYS OFPC instructor. The courses, material, presentations, stories and experiences are good, and relevant. This is somewhat of a fledgling course at DCC, seeing as it is only in its 4th semester of existance, so not all of the bugs are worked out, but it is still a great course, and gets better each day it goes on. I highly recommend it to anyone close enough, or willing to travel a little for it. DCC offers the lowest tuition in NYS, and there are a great bunch of people up here (not knocking anyone else, so please do not that it that way). If anyone would like any more info about the program I am in, please feel free to PM me, I would be more than happy to elaborate!!!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Well, if anyone really cares....I got accepted to Both University of New Haven, and Anna Maria College for there Fire Science course. I would really like to hear from anyone who goes to these 2 places. If you do, please PM Me, thanks!

-George

Also Norwalk Community College in Norwalk, CT has a associates program

Schenectady County Community College has a Fire Protection Technology Course and a Homeland security.

Empire State College has Fire Science programs on-line through NYS Fire Academy.

Good Luck.