Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Coming soon... DeWalt 36-Volt

12 posts in this topic

I thought a lot of people were getting away from the 24v and using the 18v because the 24v went through the battery too fast. I hope they came up with a better battery, without making it too heavy.

just stay with the old fashion AC powered sawzalls, batteries will always fail when they are needed the most... with all of the generator lights out there, run a power cord and go to town...

my opinion...

I agree that battery powered devices have a tendency to run out of juice at bad times... Often after all the spare charged batteries have already been used.... On a side note, I know that DeWalt has a unit that will convert its 24v units to corded power once you are out of battery packs. It is a unit that plugs into the DeWalt device just like a battery pack, but then runs corded to a 120v AC source. A good backup.

I always made it a strong point during training, to make sure that there are backup means in place to finish a job.

A car accident for example... If I was the officer on the rig, I expected that my initial crew would begin to work with the cutters, spreaders, cribbing, etc that were our best and quickest option to free those who were entrapped. I also was sure to have someone setting up all the backup equipment as well. That ment, that the gas fired hydraulic unit was out and had been started/warmed up, that the port-a-power was out and was tested to ensure that it was full of fluid and functional, the air chisel was out and attached to a regulator and air tank, and the corded backup equipment (sawzalls) were out of their cases attached to cord reels and had fresh blades in them, etc.

Just my two cents... but I don't think that it should be assumed at any incident, that a battery powered device is going to be able to fully complete all tasks from begninning to end. I've seen them run out of juice and spare battery packs too often.

grab the battery saws all, and use it while setting up the corded one. Saves time.

grab the battery saws all, and use it while setting up the corded one. Saves time.

Hear, hear EMSJ...

My sentiments exactly!

You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, EMSjunkie!

maybe it's a problem with my dept. , but........

at a recent boiler room fire i sat inside for 5 minutes for the Dewalt to get there, got it and used it for 1 minute .... dead battery.... had the other battery passed in, 30 seconds of life.... called for another battery.... instead got another saw with a new battery... 1.5 minutes of work time.... ( would of taken less time with the AC cords )

then at a MVA that night, another cordless dead on the rig

I have worked in construction for over 25 years, and the AC saws are 100 % the right tool for the job.. We own and use cordless Milwaukees. In my opinion if someones' life is at risk, don't play with a toy, get the real tool !!!

It takes time to connect the lines for the hurst tools, and look at what can be done with the right tool.

Have to agree with tanker 10 eng, if the batteries were more reliable

it wouldn't be bad but they havn't worked well for us and we rotate them

on and off the charger and exercise them regularly.

We have had a problem with the generator killing the batteries for the 24 Dewalt Saws. When the generator starts it starts to charge the battery again. This puts a "memory" on the battery and it will never fully charge again.

There have been several valid points made! - We have had a lot of experience with cordless tools over the last 15 years. In particular with batteries developing memories - while no one can argue the power & reliability of a 110 AC electric tool, the cordless tool certainly has its place within its limitations - and you must come to grips with a few facts -

1. you must be prepared to rotate your stock of batteries at least once a year because of the nature of constantly charging the batteries they do not last as the manufactureres say they do - consider it a price of being prepared.

2. There is available a secondary battery system such as the Robopak - this is a corded battery 24V (available in other voltages) this is 24 V on steroids

3. While it is easy to say go with the 110V right off the bat - with limited manpower the primary focus may be on patient stabilization and deployment of the hydraulic tool.

4. and also mention was made of the 24v ac/dc adapter - a good option in extended operations

5. cordless is also a good option to reduce tangling of electric lines with hydraulic hoses - also reducing trip hazards

6. Have more than 1 cordless tool availble with extra batteries for each

7. Have both cordless and AC available