Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
exmrvfc

Making State Training Easier to attend

9 posts in this topic

Just looking for some feedback.

Would it be easier for Volunteers to take State Training if they could get a week off (unpaid) to take a class? The thought is to set up a State Law similar to the National Guard (Federal Law) where they take one week of training per year and their employer has to let them attend. You could use vacation time if you want to get paid for it but your employer HAS to let you go and not penalize you for it.

By doing this, you could hypotheticaly set up a Firefighter I class that runs one full week and two weekends. It could also be used for any other State Training classes but FF1 is one of the longest. If this were possible would it be easier to take classes??

WOULD IT WORK TO GET OUT OF SCHOOL TOO?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: hahah

Edited by Firefighter57

Just looking for some feedback. 

Would it be easier for Volunteers to take State Training if they could get a week off (unpaid) to take a class?  The thought is to set up a State Law similar to the National Guard (Federal Law) where they take one week of training per year and their employer has to let them attend. You could use vacation time if you want to get paid for it but your employer HAS to let you go and not penalize you for it.

By doing this, you could hypotheticaly set up a Firefighter I class that runs one full week and two weekends.  It could also be used for any other State Training classes but FF1 is one of the longest.  If this were possible would it be easier to take classes??

i like the idea but how many of us can afford to take off a week unpaid and who in their right mind would use their paid time for training even if its needed unless your one of the lucky ones that have 5 weeks vaction and had nothing else to do. But i can see training going up if there was a law that would make employers pay>

i like the idea but how many of us can afford to take off a week unpaid and who in their right mind would  use their paid time for training even if its needed unless your one of the lucky ones that have 5 weeks vaction and had nothing else to do. But i can see training going up if there was a law that would make employers pay>

i forgot to add that sometimes the county does have the ff1 week long day class but they are rare. But the main problem is that the state needs to hire more instructors to run more classes at the county and not 15 haz-mat 1 classes they tend to forget about the other classes the state has to offer. if camp smith can run all these other classes that are never offered and they are smaller space wise why can't the county do it then. i think that's the main problem all the classes 60 gives everyone has them, we need more options. ok i'm done ranting now

HFD, I agree that getting paid would be the BEST way and encourage a lot more training. I am just trying to think of ways to offer training besides going to 20+ nights of FF1 (plus Saturdays). This is just a start. Anything that will help encourage training iwould be a good thing and I am just wondering if this would work. If employers would pay for the week like some due for National Guard training, we would be in a great spot.

I took Firefighter 1 over this past summer, Dutchess county offered a daytime class, in july, it was basically all kids because they had no school and even though it was 95 degrees everyday I really like the way it was done, because everything stayed fresh and flowed together well, we did 6 hours (2 sessions) a day for 3 weeks.

HFD, I agree that getting paid would be the BEST way and encourage a lot more training.  I am just trying to think of ways to offer training besides going to 20+ nights of FF1 (plus Saturdays).  This is just a start.  Anything that will help encourage training iwould be a good thing and I am just wondering if this would work.  If employers would pay for the week like some due for National Guard training, we would be in a great spot.

what i learned in this bussiness is there are 2 kinds of firefighters the ones who do the minimum and think they know it all and have the mentality that training is a waste of time, and the the ones who take it serisously and are always training, at the station or classes. i think the main problem is that even though training is madatory we as fd's don't enforce it because we don't want "our" friends to be mad of lose a person if we make them do it like were suppose to. we are suppose to train for a reason OUR SAFTEY!

It's a good idea but FF1 is a 78 hr class that would be TWO weeks off. You would be hard pressed to get someone to take two weeks off paid or not.

OkOk here my 2 cents guys

firefighter one has been offered in a 2 week block last year between the county and the state there were at least 4 2 week sessions. this year the schedule calls for at least that many--- there has already been a firefighter on 2 week this yr.

so it there guys

if there is a demand for more day time classes please let the County know

they are offering a daytime Intro to fire officer in week 2 of feb

and a daytime fireofficer one in the third week of feb

come and get em