Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang22_2002

Turning Fire Classes Into College Credits

5 posts in this topic

When i went to the University of New Haven i was told that i would get 6 credits each for FIREFIGHTER II and my EMT CERTIFICATION...

Empire State College sort of does, most likely the credit will be taken

as credit towards electives, speaking to some college representatives they informed me that most colleges will take any kind of credit you can give them. The question is what will that credit go towards? This is an exert from Empire State College. If you are interested in Fire Science I reccomend John Jay, or ESC. Both programs offer distance learning. I know New Haven offers it as well, but I heard poor opinions from the few poeple I knew who went there, then again that was in 98.

From ESC website:

http://www.esc.edu/esconline/online2.nsf/eschome.html#

Empire State College recognizes that you may have gained college-level learning on your own, through work, community experience or individual study. Therefore, you may pursue a credit by evaluation process for college-level learning not evaluated through other means, including transcripts, standardized tests and evaluations of noncollegiate sponsored learning (such as licenses, certificates and training).

Matriculated students who successfully receive credit by evaluation for prior learning have attained skills, general knowledge or subject knowledge applicable to their degree program. Students may receive lower-level or advanced credits depending upon their demonstrated learning.

HOW TO REQUEST CREDIT BY EVALUATION

To request credit by evaluation, you must submit a written description of your prior learning to your mentor. Your mentor will assist you with the process of writing the description of prior learning. The document you prepare does not need to be lengthy. In fact, the Center for Distance Learning (CDL) has developed guides for some of the subjects most frequently requested by students. These guides are designed to help you determine how much credit and at what level (lower or advanced) you should request. They also include forms to describe your learning in a complete yet succinct format. Once your description is ready, your mentor will forward it to the college's Assessment Office.

An evaluator will contact you to discuss your request and help you identify your knowledge and skills applicable to your degree.

The Center for Distance Learning has prepared a detailed Guide to Credit by Evaluation for Prior Learning which provides an in-depth explanation of the evaluation process and includes a Generic Summary of Prior Learning Form.

GUIDES FOR FREQUENTLY REQUESTED SUBJECTS

Note: Not all subjects which may be evaluated are included in these guides. Consult your mentor about evaluation(s) of other subjects.

AC Theory

Business Communications

Case Management

Community Participation

Conference Management

Data Communication

Diversity in the Workplace

Human Resource Management

Human Services

Interpersonal and Small Group Communication

Labor-Management Relations

Leadership

Management

Marketing

Microcomputer Applications

Not-for-Profit Management

Project Management

Public Speaking

Safety Awareness

Safety Management

Sales

Small Business Management

Social Gerontology

Supervision

Switching Systems

Training and Development

Corning Community College also accepts NYS Training Courses as college credits. I remeber seeing the list of classes and how many credits they are worth. I think FF1 was like 5 or 6 credits. I think you need 60 credits to get a Fire Protection degree from there.

The community colleges in Connecticut will grant life credits for FFI, EMT, many NFA classes, etc. I substituted college chemistry with the NFA class Chemistry of Hazardous Materials (80 hour class)and got 4 credits.

SFRD49