Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

The Decline in the # of Fires

14 posts in this topic

So I was wondering what you all thought of this....the trends are clear, runs are up but fires are down. It is a direct result of better fire codes and better inspections. But does anyone think that with all the new construction materials and such, we will see a time when fires again increase?

Interestred to see other thoughts on this.....Look foward to reading them.....

Everything happens in cycles im sure if we wait a couple more yrs we will see an increase in fires again but we will never be as busy as the twenty year members in our departments were.

We'll have to see what happens...for our department back in 1992 we had somewhere around fourteen structure fires....as for now, the last structure fire we had was three years ago...

We'll have to see what happens...for our department back in 1992 we had somewhere around fourteen structure fires....as for now, the last structure fire we had was three years ago...

and another 3 years here we come :rolleyes:

Fire Prevention works....

Thats also a very good point fire prevention now is far better then fire prevention then.

If then is the 70's than hell yeah...I still here stories of the days when they worked everyday.

Its Fire Prevention Education in the schools and to the public at large. Also new and improved NY State codes that have changed in the past 20- 25 Yrs. That is why the Fire #'s are down. And that is a good thing. :)

Pbvpm5 basically said the same I was gonna. I believe the trend will continue.

In regard to building construction materials, this will have little impact on the amount for fires. It also depends on what type of building construction you would refer too. In regard to wood frame construction tendencies of builders to use lightweight construction materials, this will only contribute to the building's failure quicker then quantity of fire we see. Because of stronger codes, better fire prevention, the causes of the fires, and engineering controls are reducing the amount of fires. Without an ignition or energy (heat) source, doesn't matter what the building is made out of.

How about this, lets build better, hotter and more realistic training centers. All the fun without any loss of life or personal property.

Why would you need a burn building hotter then the ones we already have?

And how would we guarantee no loss of life?

in all seriousness, it seems that there has been at least 1 fire every day for the past 3-4, maybe even more, days...that seems alot for westchester standards. Granted, im not a FF so i guess i wouldnt know B)

It seems right around new years the fires started to pick up with the jobs in armonk and croton, even just recently the second alarm in katonah. Are we in a new trend?

It seems right around new years the fires started to pick up with the jobs in armonk and croton, even just recently the second alarm in katonah. Are we in a new trend?

greenwich career staff has "groups" for the crew of guys who work a shift townwide. the past 5 tours they have a had a working fire. intresting isn't it? i guess things don't come in groups of 3