Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

L.A. Fire Dept. Budget Calls for Hiring 250

10 posts in this topic

Huge news for anyone looking to get on in LA City.

L.A. Fire Dept. Budget Calls for Hiring 250

New firefighters would cover attrition and expand the force. The union supports the proposal, which goes to Villaraigosa for review.

By Patrick McGreevy, Times Staff Writer

Stretched thin by an increase in calls, Los Angeles firefighters and paramedics would get some reinforcements under the budget the fire chief proposed Tuesday.

The budget submitted to the Fire Commission for the fiscal year beginning July 1 would provide for hiring 250 firefighters to cover expected attrition and would expand the workforce by 30.

The department has 3,562 firefighters and paramedics. In 2005, the department received about 24,000 more calls than it did the previous year, for an increase of about 3%, according to Battalion Chief Ron Leydecker.

Pat McOsker, president of the firefighters union, supports the budget proposal that was sent to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa for consideration.

"Being a firefighter or paramedic in L.A. is one of the most challenging jobs in the country," McOsker said. "We need to keep up with the call load."

With three-quarters of all calls coming in for medical service, the proposed budget also calls for training 24 firefighters as paramedics during the next fiscal year.

Villaraigosa will take the budget recommended by Fire Chief William Bamattre under consideration and may make changes based on the city's overall budget priorities, according to Janelle Erickson, a spokeswoman for the mayor.

Although the mayor has called for departments to look for ways to trim costs, the Fire Department is facing some rising expenses just to maintain staffing.

A program that allows firefighters to defer retirement for five years while receiving their salaries will begin to see a costly spate of required retirements in 2007, according to Georgia Mattera, the city fire administrator.

As a result, while the department would normally lose about 100 firefighters in a year, the new budget calls for hiring 250 just to keep up with the expected attrition, Mattera said.

Bamattre is also asking for a larger support staff, including 13 dispatchers and call takers, and civilian workers for equipment maintenance and technological backing.

"Civilian staffing has not kept pace with the overall growth of the department, with only seven support positions added in the past five years," Bamattre wrote to the mayor.

The department also is proposing $3.68 million in new fee revenue, much of it coming from more inspections in a booming building industry.

The budget also proposes funding to implement a citywide disaster preparation program.

Edited by x635

Start at around $43,000 and max out for a FF is arounf $77,000. Add in a paramedic lisence and you get a bonus of about 17%. Most dual function guys working on a paramedic resourse make over $100,000 easily. Engineeers and A/O's start at around $55,000 and Captain I's make well over $90,000.

Edited by LAFirePhotos

if someone wanted to take the test, how would they go about getting the information and materials?

Go to www.lafd.org and it'll tell you all about what you need to do. What the article you just read didn't say is that the city has approved hiring 250 this year and 250 next year AND 250 the following year! Thats 750 positions. Come out to sunny CA!!!!!

Edited by LAFirePhotos

Go to www.lafd.org and it'll tell you all about what you need to do. What the article you just read didn't say is that the city has approved hiring 250 this year and 250 next year AND 250 the following year! Thats 750 positions. Come out to sunny CA!!!!!

wow sounds like LA is a great department to work for, and from videos and pictures I have seen look like they are as well. What are the chances of someone without residency getting hired?

Residency is no longer an issue. All you need is a valid CA drivers liscense by the day you start the tower. The process is rather lengthy, so if you know that you are at the top of the list, it would be wise to get a CA DL. The following link has better info...

http://www.lacity.org/per/exams/exam2112.htm

Residency is no longer an issue. All you need is a valid CA drivers liscense by the day you start the tower. The process is rather lengthy, so if you know that you are at the top of the list, it would be wise to get a CA DL. The following link has better info...

http://www.lacity.org/per/exams/exam2112.htm

wow, sign me up...whats the age requirement? 21?

18 years old with a high school diploma or GED and a clean record...

18 years old with a high school diploma or GED and a clean record...

just a couple of minor traffic violations :D. I filled out the application, I think I click the wrong thing on bankrupcy...Ive never filed for bankrupcy, so I clicked no, and got a message about my past credit history...Ive never had a problem...I hope this isnt bad.