Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

It's National Public Safety Telecommunications Week

4 posts in this topic

At least say thanks to your dispatcher, or more importantly,bring em' food or other treats!

I'd ask what the Westchester area is doing to note this week, but that would mean the communications field around here would be progressive, lol.

Anyways, Happy NPSTW to all the Dispatchers who constantly toil "behind the scenes" in the WC! :D

National

Public Safety Telecommunications

Week

April 11-17, 2004

A Week of Recognition and Awareness

This year, the week of April 11th has been declared National Public Safety Telecommunications Week. Sponsored by APCO International, the week honors the many telecommunications professionals who aid in providing 9-1-1 emergency assistance to citizens everywhere.

Every day, millions of people depend on the skill, expertise and commitment of public safety telecommunications professionals who help save countless lives by responding to emergency calls, dispatching emergency professionals and equipment and providing moral support to citizens in distress.

The term “9-1-1” is often associated with rapid emergency response, poise under pressure, aid and compassion in times of distress and critical decision-making within seconds. Many people don’t stop to think about the seemingly nameless, faceless individuals who answer 9-1-1’s call until they experience actual emergencies themselves. These telecommunicators make the difference between life and death in many instances.

By officially recognizing these public safety telecommunications professionals, APCO hopes to awaken public awareness and 

promote much-needed education regarding important public safety issues and legislation.

The History of

National Public Safety Telecommunications Week 

The idea to designate a specific week to honor public safety telecommunicators was first conceived in 1981 by Patricia Anderson of Contra Costa County (Northern California Chapter) Sheriff’s Office. APCO International was able to convince Congress of the need for a formal proclamation in October 1991. According to congressional procedure, it was introduced twice more in 1993 and 1994 before becoming permanent without the need for yearly introduction. 

They have a week to honor us? You wouldn't know it around here!

Things never change!!!!! Keep up the good work 60.

I have to salute you guys at 60 control. They've taken on several new and excellent dispatchers in the past few years (630 and 636 come to mind) and they do what they can with what they are given. One day I will have to come down and visit you guys to get a true feel for what it is like on the other side of that door. :-> My hats off to the good dispatchers at 60. (The bad ones can go you know where.)