Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fab190

FDNY Personal Safety Harnesses

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what company the FDNY used for their personal safety harnesses and ropes and approximately how much they cost each? Also, is there a time frame for when the company will be making them available to the public?

Does anyone know what company the FDNY used for their personal safety harnesses and ropes and approximately how much they cost each?  Also, is there a time frame for when the company will be making them available to the public?

you don't want it! kidding, but its a nuisance

Harness is made by Gemtor cost around $150.00 you can get it on thefirestore.com or at Fireend in Elmsford

That is the old style harness that you can get now that is from gemtor. yellow with blue leg loops. The new one is graygreen with yellow leg loops with an added metal loop.

I've been using the gemtor for a few years now and I like it. The only negative about it is the fact my bunkers latch on the right and the gemtor is on the left. Tells you how long I've had it now that they make it open either way now.

I haven't seen the new FDNY harness yet. is it almost the same and the Gemtor and could someone post a pic if they could. Thanks

I have heard from a firefighter in fdny that their new rope system wont be available to the public for awhile because of the training that is involved in it.

The new system is made by a few diffrent companys.

Gemtor is making the harness. It's a newer style with a added D ring and new hook on it.

Petzel makes the descender which is hooked in with a Carabiner to the D ring.

Not sure who makes the hook, rope and bag to hold it.

As far as people buying them, I don't know how you would go about that. I am not aware of any one vendor having a cotract on the items. I think it you would have to contact each vendor, unless one of the local fire stores buys the parts and puts them together.

Most units now have the new harness, not all are using them. Ropes are issued along with the training which will still take some time.