Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Embry-Riddle EMS had is first call today!

29 posts in this topic

As many of you know or might have heard, I along with 2 other friends got bored at my school and started putting together a Campus EMS program. Over the last few months, we have given numerous presentations, schedualed countless hours and paid for things out of our own pockets. Its been a rough ride so far with set backs and uncertainties from certain individuals, but right now we're living the high life.

Currently we are not operational because of certain individuals who think that we are a bunch of kids and we dont know what we are doing. This hopefully will soon change.

Today however, at our activities fair, where clubs and organizations show off what they do, a student passed out riding their bike, and she hit hard. The Pt has donated blood about 20 min prior, hadn't had anything to eat all day, and was working out in the morning. We were at our booth showing off what our plans are for the campus, and we recived a phone call saying that an individual had passed out. Three of us responded to find this individual totally unconsious in the middle of the walkway. As we checked for A&O, the patient became alert only to painful stimuli. EVAC ambulance had been dispatch and was already 5 min enroute and no sound of sirens yet. Two sets of vitals were being taken and Pt info was being recored while a crowd of curious onlookers and photographers from the campus news paper showed up. About 5 mintues later (total of 10 minutes) EVAC ambualnce arrived. The crew was surpized and excited to hear that Embry-Riddle now has a "quick responce" to provide immediate care. Pt transfer went extreamly smoothly and the crew was extatic that her info and 2 sets of vitals were already taken.

Numerous people congradulated us on a job well done, and people were exited to see that we could provide care quickly and well (people actually came up to us and said "Now we know that you guys know what your doing." :) umm ok....lol) Anyways, it went off so smoothly I could not ask for a better way to let the campus see that we can provide efficent, practical and proper care to thoes in need. Hopefully this event will cause a stir in the higher ranks of the school, and we will become fully operational sooner then we planned.

If you have any questions on how we plan on operating, copy's of our By-laws / SOG's or anything else, feel free to ask / email me at firefightervergo@gmail.com Comments and opinions are always welcome.

Alex Vergo

Proud Captain of Embry-Riddle EMS

Edited by EMSJunkie712

congrats on getting your first run I think what you guys are doing is awsome, keep up the good work.....please keep us posted on how far you get gonig with the new EMS program

It's about time Alex LoL Congrats bro i know how much you were pulling for it. Good luck, and all the best man

Thanks for all the support guys. Its nice to hear that people are appreciating what we are doing.

on a side note, we were talking to a student today who had called 911 a few days ago for a broken leg...It took EVAC ambulance 40 mintues to get there. This information was backed up by the cad times from our schools dispatch center. 40 mintues is unacceptable, PERIOD.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Good job...I see being with YVAC/YHFD actually paid off, lol. Thats awesome to hear what you are doing down at school! Its ashame that there isn't more college kids stepping up...

Good job...I see being with YVAC/YHFD actually paid off, lol. Thats awesome to hear what you are doing down at school!  Its ashame that there isn't more college kids stepping up...

:unsure: yea, they whipped me into shape. As for more college students getting involved, we had about 40 people who seemed interested in joining!....after we set everything up of course :D

Edited by EMSJunkie712

finally our first run, now we just need some more of them!! this is going out to all the alcohol drinking college kids that we are going to end up taking care of.

Edited by EBT709

You all probaly figured out that EBT709 is a member of Embry-Riddle EMS...got him to join emtbravo.

Congrats, good work!

You'll notice in the college environment when you do things "in the open" that are noticed by a lot of people as you did.. you'll quickly gain respect and people will be like "oh wow, we need them!" - This is exactly what you needed!

*NOW* you have background to go to administrators, student union, etc. and ask for funding and support - cite this as evidance. Was there a newspaper article written? (School newspaper?) KEEP THIS!

See if you can get evidance for that 40min response... this is all stuff to build your case to get you guys more support.

Once you have the support - run with it! Trust me! :D

Good job and congrats!

Congratualtions and Best of Luck! I wish all college campuses would take your lead! As a member of Pleasantville VAC with Pace U in our district a skilled crew at the college would be beneficial. We do many calls at Pace. Back in the early 90's we went there for a 19 year old student in cardiac arrest. I was totally shocked that no one knew CPR; the RAs weren't even required to have it! Probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway, the student had a blood clot that was formed in a derformity in her arm that suddenly went straight to her heart, but the point is that no one on the campus had any training!!

Keep up the good work!

Daytona Beach is covered only by Volunteer EMS? What about FD?

Edited by CAM502

Daytona Beach is covered only by Volunteer EMS?  What about FD?

Negative...all of Volusia County is provided by EVAC Ambulance which is a paid service. Every ambulance consists of 1 medic and 1 EMT. No BLS buses.

Volusia County Fire Services, provides fire protection to the outskirts of the city and the rest of the county. We are a combo department with 3 paid and 1 volly slot at all times. They also provide Daytona International Airport with 24/7 ARFF...fully paid however :P. DBFD (daytona beach FD) provides fire protection to the city of daytona, south daytona has there own department, same with port orange which is just to the south, where im currently commuting to school from. Basically every dept down here is paid, and VCFS are trying to kick the vollys out for good.

www.evacamb.org

http://volusia.org/fireservices/

Edited by EMSJunkie712

just out of curiosity, how are you guys planning on reconcileing the liability issue with the school?

just out of curiosity, how are you guys planning on reconcileing the liability issue with the school?

We have a quote, and were meeting with the Student Government Asso. to discuss our budget this friday...so hopefully by the end of this week we will start the insurance process of VFIS insurance.

Ok I'm having a hard time here. Was there some MCI or weather event going on at the same time as the 40 min response? Or is staffing an issue in Florida also. Or did they just say "oh well he broke his leg we'll get there when we can." Are the dispatchers EMD?? Doesn't seem right for the "State of Florida 2002 EMS Provider of the Year"... What kind of station placement does EVAC use?

Edited by CAM502

Ok I'm having a hard time here.  Was there some MCI or weather event going on at the same time as the 40 min response?  Or is staffing an issue in Florida also.  Or did they just say "oh well he broke his leg we'll get there when we can."  Are the dispatchers EMD??  Doesn't seem right for the "State of Florida 2002 EMS Provider of the Year"...  What kind of station placement does EVAC use?

Staffing around here is a HUGE issue...Port oranges ladder has 2 men on it...TWO MEN!!!! Engine 11 for VCFS has 3 paid guys on at a time...basically they put it in pump, and as the battaion chief arrives, all 3 go in :P Its scary.

EVAC ambulance however appears not to have a staffing problem...but I could be wrong. They dont have stations either, rather posts located throughout the county...i can count off the top of my head 3 that I know about in Daytona....population of 50,000 btw. So if all 3 ambualnces were on runs, which is highly possible given the drugs / vilonce around here, then a 40 min responce time is highly plausable.

As for the county dispatchers...im not sure how it works exactly, even though ive been there, but all of the dispatchers are EMD...the center is set up exactly like 60-control. Both the Fire and EMS dispatchers are in the same room and can easily communicate with each other.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Cool, thank for the info. Sounds like another place I know of that doesn't have enough buses, I mean ambulances, on the road.

Oh and good luck starting off man, wish you the best.

Edited by CAM502

im posting a map of the area im in with the FD locations and EMS posts that i know of...you can click on it to make it bigger

http://www.supload.com/free/postFdlocations.bmp/view/

edit: I forgot about 2 FD stations located to the North and East....so new picture

The red star is Embry-Riddle University

Blue Squares = EMS Posts

Red Squares = FD stations

Red Circle = Halifax Hosiptal

Edited by EMSJunkie712

A Little, off topic but, how is Embry-Riddle down there, I was really thinking about going there for Aeronautical Engineering, but instead I decided to go to RIT. How much fun and nice weather am I missing?

Brian

A Little, off topic but, how is Embry-Riddle down there, I was really thinking about going there for Aeronautical Engineering, but instead I decided to go to RIT. How much fun and nice weather am I missing?

Brian

Today was 70, sunny, semi-cloudy with a light wind. The last week has been B E A U tiful. Funwise, your not missing too much. The 17:1 male:female ratio deffinatly puts a huge damper on things. Daytona its self is not a nice place to be, its quite depressing actually. The drugs, violence, rednecks and the "ghetto" makes the whole area pretty bad and and the beach itself isnt that nice. Not to much nightlife, but if you get involved with the fraternitys on campus, activites and things to do start to open up slightly. Id stick with going to RIT.

Man, and I thought the 3:1 ratio of male to female up here was bad, I have some sympathy.

good luck with your EMS program

Edited by Porsha911gt3

Brian

haha, you are missing absoulelty nothing here. embry-riddle is a good school but not for the price tag that we are paying unfortunately. Daytona itself is a horrible town, sure its nice to visit and everybody i talk to is like, "you go to school in Daytona thats awesome." No it isnt. As alex pointed out the weather is great but there are so many slums in the town with nothing to do. Even if you join a frat down here, the drinking gets old after a while too, especially when there are 9 or 10 guys for every girl. Plenty of alcoholics here at Riddle.

Edited by EBT709

haha im glad then, one question is the FD down there completely paid or can you volunteer right around the campus?

haha im glad then, one question is the FD down there completely paid or can you volunteer right around the campus?

around the campus is compleatly paid, but if you go to the county department, then you can volly. But vollying down here stinks...they dont accept any of my classes...FF I and II :lol: so i would have to retake all of them. So I'm just going to be a driver...if they ever offer an EVOC course

not right near campus. the closest volly house is either 7 or 8 miles away. you have a choice from the ghetto to the north with a crack house across the street or mad rich people to the south. either way its a ways from campus.

Edited by EBT709

not right near campus. the closest volly house is either 7 or 8 miles away. you have a choice from the ghetto to the north with a crack house across the street or mad rich people to the south. either way its a ways from campus.

:lol: of course i chose the one to the north (Station 11, holly hill / halifax) because we run the most structure fire out of any of the departments in the county...DBFD Eng 4 i think is number 67 on the most number of runs in 2005 in the country.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

:lol: of course i chose the one to the north (Station 11, holly hill / halifax) because we run the most structure fire out of any of the departments in the county...DBFD Eng 4 i think is number 67 on the most number of runs in 2005 in the country.

yeah DAB engine #4 is #67 in 2005 for busiest engine.

http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/surveys/...art2/engine.pdf

I guess im real glad i stayed in NYS then. Even though the department that i joined up here in rochester only 2.2 square miles (EFFD is 54 sq miles) they are pretty busy, and even tho i only have FF1, it transfers fine, and also i am relatively close to montour falls so im gonna take some hard to find courses up there. So I guess I can't complain about it up here, even tho its cold, the weather has not been anywhere near what the famous Lake affect claim says it should be