Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Firefighting Helmets: Good For Fall Protection?

7 posts in this topic

I was thinking. Rare, I know, but still.

Is our safety when it comes to our helmets impeded by fashion and tradition?

It seems to me that traditional firefighting helmets are more suited for protecting firefighters from falling debris then injuries sustained from falling, such as a motorcycle helmet would.

I would think, let's say if a firefighter was to fall from an aerial ladder, that the traditional helmet, such as a New Yorkers, would complicate the injuries. The large brim could get snagged on something, or push/twist the firefighters neck when he lands in such a position to do considerable damage to the cervical spine.

Additionally, with all the new materials out there today, is the weight neccesary, and does that do long term neck damage?

There's got to be a better medium out there. I've seen new helmet concepts, but they never seem to catch on or are discarded as "ugly" and "not a New Yorker".

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the New York style helmet. But personally, my favorite helmet is the type used by LA City and California firefighters, the "Phoenix". It's lightweight, and designed in such a way as to offer fall protection as well.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=95

Edited by x635

Seth, I agree with you. And by the looks of some of the prices of the more traditional types, the phoenix may well offer more and better protection for a LOT less $$$$$$$$

I have to start by saying that I am biased. No question about it, I love my N5A. However, I think that realistically, the internal structure of all helmets is the same more or less. They all have a suspension keeping your head away from the inside of the helmet. As for causing additional injury, they "brim" doesn't protrude more than and inch or two around and less than 4 or so in the back. I don't think this would be enough to cause severe injury in most or all cases. With what I think is a slim chance, I would trade it for the added protection from falling objects and hot water that a "traditional" helmet provides. As far as looks, they are totally secondary, but I think most everyone likes the traditional look and, so long as it doesn't impeed progress, carrying it on is alright with me. That said, you sure can't argue the cost factor, that, I have nothing for.

Good thread, side note, I'll try to get a picture in of a London Fire Brigade helmet, talk about a motorcycle helmet.....

I look at it this way if i fall from an aerial ladder a helmet injury is the least of my problems its the sudden stop i'm worried about. But really if you fall from any height i would worry more about the rest of the equipment i have on like a scott pack, handlight, any tools in my pockets or a hand tool. Then again HOW MANY OF US USE OUR CHIN STRAPS? for a helmet to stay on while falling.

You bring up a good question hard to answer . I myself have a new yorker leather and love it its comfortable fits my head perfect and in my opinion its one of the better firefighting helmets , the impact shell is great , its a great structural firefighting helmet . The best about a leather new yorker is everyones is the same brand same idea but has its own style and look. But your point is good about the falling. But i go into fires more then i fall and id rather have the brim to protect me from falling debris and hot water going down the back of my neck. Hey i guess the way u could look at it is as long as its a helmet that protects for the most part you and your dept are ok with it then thats all that matters.

A coupe of people have hit on this all ready, the vast majority of the injuries suffered by ff's durring a fall are from the things we land on. Most of our neck and back injuries sustained durring a fall come from landing on our scba.

Like was previously mentioned, not everyone wears their helmet correctly. You see a lot of ff's tying their chin strap around the back brim, and that takes away an important safety feature. The helmet is designed to protect against falling debris, if your helmet's chin strap is not secure than the first peice of debris knocks the helmet off and the second makes you either dead or a vegitable. It is silly to see ff's wear their gear wrong just to look COOL B) I myself have the Cairns 1010 traditional style and I love it. It's light, and fits me perfectly. I started out with the Cairns 660 Metro style and it just didn't feel safe.

There is a new helmet called the "Fire Knight" or something like that, it has no "brims" and totaly wraps your head, and it has goggles that slide in and out of your helmet. Looks weird but I heard it has top notch protection.

Stay Safe out there. :D