Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbvfd596

Ropes And Knots-Requirments For FFI?

6 posts in this topic

What are the requirements for knots for FF1, I've heard there's about 8 knots?, What are they, and what's they best way to get to know them. Is it true you have to do them blindfolded?

What are the requirements for knots for FF1, I've heard there's about 8 knots?, What are they, and what's they best way to get to know them.  Is it true you have to do them blindfolded?

You should be able to do them blindfolded but just with gloves on is tricky enough. You need to know:

Single/double overhand safety

Bowline

Half Hitch

Clove Hitch

Figure Eight

Figure Eight Follow Through

Figure Eight on a Bight

Becket Bend

Edited by cas2383

Thanks, at rope drills and what not I've had lots of trouble with knots, and was wondering what I can do so that I'll be able to pass by the time i get to ff1

I went through the same list of knots 14 years ago when I was going though essentials (preparing for FF1 which I knew I would need when I went to college a year later) at 16 years old.

Cut several pieces of rope into 24 inch sections (you won't always need that much, but when you are learning you tend to use more rope then necessary).

Take two sections of rope (several knots require joining two seperate pieces of rope) and leave them in places where you spend idle time and can practice. Several places that I found useful were:

Bathroom for when mother nature isn't in a very big hurry

In front of the TV for when commercials interrupt your shows

Car for when you're in traffic

At your job / school locker

At the fire house near your gear rack for when you are hanging out

Also print the instructions for completing each knot and leave them with each pair of rope sections that you've strategically placed.... Each an every chance you have to tie a knot, do it..... You'll get it....

Also, when you have a moment after you've mastered your knots, ask someone or look up on line how to make a swiss seat out of a length of rescue rope... Combined with an upper body tie off, you can create your own rescue harness with much of the same knowledge that comes from the figure 8 on a bite. Although I haven't had to use it, I know brothers who have either for themselves or for a civilian.

I went through the same list of knots 14 years ago when I was going though essentials (preparing for FF1 which I knew I would need when I went to college a year later) at 16 years old.

Cut several pieces of rope into 24 inch sections (you won't always need that much, but when you are learning you tend to use more rope then necessary).

Take two sections of rope (several knots require joining two seperate pieces of rope) and leave them in places where you spend idle time and can practice.  Several places that I found useful were:

Bathroom for when mother nature isn't in a very big hurry

In front of the TV for when commercials interrupt your shows

Car for when you're in traffic

At your job / school locker

At the fire house near your gear rack for when you are hanging out

Also print the instructions for completing each knot and leave them with each pair of rope sections that you've strategically placed.... Each an every chance you have to tie a knot, do it..... You'll get it....

Also, when you have a moment after you've mastered your knots, ask someone or look up on line how to make a swiss seat out of a length of rescue rope... Combined with an upper body tie off, you can create your own rescue harness with much of the same knowledge that comes from the figure 8 on a bite.  Although I haven't had to use it, I know brothers who have either for themselves or for a civilian.

Well its nice to know somebody was in my shoes at some point in time, the 24 pieces of rope should help for my 5 hr trip this weekend, i just gotta figure out the right way now

Go to the Conn Fire Academy web site. The practical skills test for FF1 and 2 can be down loaded. There is a big section on knots. You can pretty much figure out what they want and practice from that list.