Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

White Plains-Robertson Ave. Firehouse

7 posts in this topic

Here's a photo of White Plains FD Robertson Ave. Firehouse, located in the Chatterton/Battle Hill neighborhood at the corner of Robertson and Harding Ave's. I took this photo this past Sunday, 1-29-06.

post-11-1138835189.jpg

I guess this firehouse was closed when the new Station 2 opened. It appears that the station is still used for storage and training. This was neat for me, I always knew this firehouse existed, but never saw it in person. It's right off Central Ave. by the City Limits Diner....I like the way this firehouse looks, very traditonal and community based.

Anyone have any more information or history on this firehouse, and what used to respond from here? Is this the one where the volunteer engine was stored, or is there another one I'm missing in the Chatterton/Battle Hill area?

That is the one where the volunteer engine was stored. I think it was called station 5. The origianl station 2 was at the corner of Hamilton Ave and South Lexington Ave near St Johns School, amd housed engine 66 and ladder 33. That was closed and than demolished when the new station 2 opened on Ferris Ave.

This is Station 5. The White Plains Volunteer Division along with Engine 210, a 1969

Maxim 1000gpm pumper occupied this house. The apparatus was used for parades, musters and fire prevention activities. It did not respond to fires.

This is Station 5. The White Plains Volunteer Division along with Engine 210, a 1969

Maxim 1000gpm pumper occupied this house. The apparatus was used for parades, musters and fire prevention activities. It did not respond to fires.

Sta 5 was closed in 1970 when we started the change in hours from 48 hrs per week to 40. Gov Rockafeller signed in law 40 hour work week. We went down 2 hours per year down to 42 with 105 hours as comp time. We were running a conventional open cab seagrave with a crome nose I think it was a 59 but I forget.

Station 2 on Hamilton ave was closed and replaced by the bus garage in 1978. I was driving the truck on the last ride we had there. That was from urban renewal.

just so you know the old fdwp eng 69 responed from here it has been closed for many years eng69 was a vintage bullet nosed seagrave bring back the old days

Back in 1989 White Plains FD allowed Fairview FD to store furniture,trophies and other items inside this building while Fairview Headquarters was being renovated.

I got a chance to go inside and see how traditional it was.I agree, it holds alot of community spirit from days in the past.

About a month ago I heard WPFD relocate a company to this station due to the extreme traffic back up on RT.119.Con Ed was working on a gas line and would cause Station 2 problems responding to the Battle Hill area.

The old Station 2 at Hamilton/N lex ,Station 3 Warren st, Station 4 S Lexington, and Station 5 Robertson Av, all are basically the same. Probrobly cut from the same plans.