Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest stephentyler20

Why should I join?

6 posts in this topic

I'm a paid medic in the area, but I really miss being a vollie. When I lived upstate, I volunteered in EMS, at an all-vollie corps where I lived, and worked as a medic in a different town that had only paid EMS. Perfect harmony! In this area, however, I'm finding that if you're a medic you're paid, no such thing as the vollie medic really.

As an alternative, I was thinking about joining up with the local FD (Purchase), which is only a couple miles from my house. I have no fire experience, however, and so I guess my question is what would be the progression of training if I did join up? Are there any medic-related jobs in the FD? I'm not really into being a firefighter per-se, that is, I don't have a longing desire to run into burning buildings at the moment. I would, however, be interested in techinical rescue, extrication, etc... Is it possible to do some things but not others? Who knows if this will happen, but thanks for the info!

I believe Cortlandt and Ossining have volunteer medics.

being a member of Purchase FD i can tell you that the skills of the EMS are slowly coming into our department. We currently have 6 NYS EMTs on our roster and another member in class for it now. We are planning on holding a CFR class for our members at some point in 2006. The reasoning behind it is that we spend alot of our time on the highway and work with Harrison EMS alot. I personally believe that having a medic around the house would be great. In 2005 i believe we did 5 or 6 extrications, some more serious then others. We always welcome new members to our department. We drill every wednesday night at 7 pm, and you are more then welcome to drop in and check things out. If you would like for me to tell you more about the department you can PM me on emtbravo or you can email me at cowboyz84@aol.com

JBJ

There is always room for medics in the fire service. My wife is a Fire/Medic, and I am a FF/EMT.

There are tons of jobs to do at every scene; Driver/Pump Ops, support, rope rescue, wildland search and rescue, accountability officer, fire police, safety officer, public information officer, logistics, you can be part of the fd administration like President, treasurer, secretary. You would be a welcomed asset to their fd.

Good Luck! ;)

Ossining has both volunteer and paid...

OVAC runs 12 hour shifts from 6AM to 6PM and 6PM to 6AM. They use both volunteer and per diem medics. They also supply the medic for the tri village fly car which covers the ALS calls in both Briarcliff and Croton FD's. They have a bunk room for overnight shifts.