Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FirNaTine

1 post in this topic

:):) I've got to honestly say in my opinion, as well as those of the majority of Career guys I work with in my Department, as well as my neighboring Career Departments, this has to be one of the most hilarious shows on T.V., because we all can relate to it, in some way or another. Believe it or not fellows, the stupidity and ignorance you see on that show actually does exist within the Professional Fire Service, even in the FDNY. If I ever invited anyone of you who dislikes the show to work one tour with me in my Career Dept., you'd think you were actually in one of the episodes of RESCUE ME! Granted, some of the material is exagerated, but for the most part it's right on the money. Many of the guys I work with could play the roles of those characters on the show without even having to take Actor's Lessons, that's how similar the show is to my JOB! I don't watch the show for the fire scenes because as usual, it's unrealistic and all Hollywood. I enjoy and find humor in everything that happens within the Station and in the characters personal lives outside of work. Maybe because I, along with many of my Career Brothers have either experienced or witnessed first hand, many of these types of scenarios. The only guys I have spoken to that actually dislike the show, are many of the newer and younger FDNY members. The older, senior men actually get a kick out of it because many of them have been there and done that. Dennis Leary has put together a show that portrays characters of all walks of life, who have different but realistic personalities and problems that are present in everyday life. They all come together though putting their troubles aside when the bell hits to achieve a common goal and that is to do their job of protecting Life and Property. I bet if the show was based around another Dept. other than the FDNY, such as BOSTON or CHICAGO many would have a different outlook on it. Anyway, I never met Dennis Leary but I know one thing about him for sure. After his cousin died, who was one of the 5 Worcester, MA. Firefighters that died in the Cold Storage Warehouse fire, he's spent a great deal of his time raising money for deceased firefighters widow's and their families, especially those of the FDNY, and also has donated much needed equipment to the FDNY especially after 911. Like or Dislike him and/or his show, he is who he is and like he said about his show RESCUE ME, sometimes the truth hurts. Nobody's perfect, including Firefighters but he always has and forever will have, an incredible amount of Respect for Us and the job we do. This is something he's continuously stated on more than one ocassion when being interviewed. I'm looking forward, along with many of my peers to see what kind of crazy episodes he brings us next season that we can all relate to once again.