Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Daniel "Moose" Vechio

7 posts in this topic

Sadly this past Sunday "Moose" collapsed while on his winter vacation in FL. He is currently on life support and was declared to have no brain activity, at a FL hospital. I thought it would be appropriate to mention this/him because he has been mentioned before on this site in Street Eats. For those that knew Moose, he was famous for his hotdogs which he sold on the corner near Cottage St and Midland Ave in Port Chester for decades. Before that he was also a court stenographer. My thoughts & prayers go out to his family and close friends.

Edited by cas2383

I can remember going to moose with my dad as a child..he will be missed throughout the community.

I just got word from a close family friend of Moose's. He has passed away. My prayers are with his family in this hard time.

I remember when I was a kid getting dogs from him, I alsways enjoyed walking down the street with my old man to get them. I always liked getting the onion sauce.

Years ago he would sometimes set up his cart near Rendes on lower Grace Church St, one time the "bell hit" at So. Main firehouse, my dad ran to the station with me in tow... He ended up driving E-61's "old fox" to a job at Border Plumbing Supply, and I got stuck at the firehouse with the oldtimers until one of muy Aunts came and picked me up. Boy those dogs smelled the joint up pretty good. The old guys tried taking the dogs, but I kept them hidden.

My condolences to the family.

Edited by CHIEFPHIL

I been a personal friend of moose and customer [ and it shows] for over 40 years now. can remember 8 hot dogs or more to win a bet!. you are not from port Chester or the area if you don't know moose. our pray's are with you dan.

i used to goto moose all the time for 5 dogs with everything on them when i was lil after basbeall on saturdays we used to go there as a team man and to wash it all down with a cream soda.. he will be missed

I been a personal friend of moose and customer [ and it shows] for over 40 years now. can remember 8 hot dogs or more to win a bet!. you are not from port Chester or the area if you don't know moose. our pray's are with you dan. p.s. and yes I do have a picture of the 1970 border supply fire!