Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Received my EMT Recert

15 posts in this topic

Hey everyone...Just wanted to share with everyone that I just received notice that I passed my EMT recert class after 8 years of inactivity! :lol: I thought I would have to take the class all over again, but I managed to pull off a 91 on the written. Any NEW advice for an OLD EMT?

Take care everyone.

Jonesy

Congrats - I'm waiting on my EMT-Basic exam grade--- I tested out in January and haven't recieved my grade yet.

When did u test out that u got ur grade today?

I JUST GOT IT!!!! I'm an EMT Also! YAY!!!

Mazel Tov!!!!!!

On behalf of the Westchester Jewish Paramedics Association, welcome to the club!

good job brian.... im so happy for you....

Stay Safe

" Smoke Eater " Rich

But umm.... any new advice no..... umm...... you gotta give me advice :D

Hey everyone...Just wanted to share with everyone that I just received notice that I passed my EMT recert class after 8 years of inactivity! :D  I thought I would have to take the class all over again, but I managed to pull off a 91 on the written.  Any NEW advice for an OLD EMT?

Take care everyone.

Jonesy

Congrats - I'm waiting on my EMT-Basic exam grade--- I tested out in January and haven't recieved my grade yet.

When did u test out that u got ur grade today?

I tested out in January Also, But I am in Cobleskill, upstate by Albany. Maybe it is different for you guys, but GOOD LUCK! :D

I commented a second later - I got my state card today also - I got a 80 on my EMT-B exam :-D So happy to get that- I hated the wait

Question though for all EMT's out here -- is the CME Program a good thing to do in your eyes??

Does it really matter what grade you get. That little card wheater you get a 100% or 70% will say the same thing

Does it really matter what grade you get.  That little card wheater  you get a 100% or 70% will say the same thing

You bring up a good point. Sadly, it doesnt. I personally feel the EMT written exam passing score is far too low. I think its in an injustice to the people who have a vested intrest in the course and in getting a good grade to allow someone to slack off, get a 73% and still be legally allowed to render the same level of care as someone with a 90% or higher. At the same time, even if you get a 100% that doesnt mean you are going to be an amazing EMT. At the end of the day It's a good thing that the majority of EMS systems look towards experience. Its one thing to spit back what a textbook teaches you, and its another to preform well in a relitivly dynamic environment.

Per the CME program....its going to expire this summer, June or July. Meaning, it will not be taking any more applications by that time - those who are already enrolled can recert via the program. I guess if you feel confident in your skills the CME is good, if you think sitting through an entire class and sitting for the state exam again (thats the only thing you really dont need to do with the CME program) is going to help you then go for it. But, the CME program does require a good ammount of lecture time and does require testing out on selected practical skills.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Congrats m_bjones!. As an inactive emt (it expired back in 1997) I have thought about renewing/retaking the EMT. I have to ask, how much has changed since then? Would I be better off retaking the entire class, or just a refresher?

Congrats m_bjones!.  As an inactive emt (it expired back in 1997) I have thought about renewing/retaking the EMT. I have to ask, how much has changed since then?  Would I be better off retaking the entire class, or just a refresher?

Sorry it took so long to answer, I thought the post had paid itself out!!! :rolleyes:

Mine expired in 99-00, and I did fine with the practicals and written. I was going to take the whole class over but our county medic told me to just recert. Some has changed but they will cover that in your refresher lectures. I say go for it. Good luck and let us know when you get it. :rolleyes:

Jonesy

I commented a second later  - I got my state card today also - I got a 80 on my EMT-B exam :-D So happy to get that- I hated the wait

Question though for all EMT's out here -- is the CME Program a good thing to do in your eyes??

From my personal experiance, I feel the CME Program is worht it because it allows you to do all of your stuff over three years and not squeeze it all into a 6 week class. I also think it allows you to keep up on skills that sometimes don't get used often.

Many congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: