Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Orange County Career Departments?

21 posts in this topic

Which Depts. in Orange have career FF's? I know Newburgh, West Point (Fed) and but who else?

And Putnam is all volunteer, correct?

Thanks.

Edited by 23piraf

City of Middletown FD combo dept

All of the Putnam County Fire Departments are volunteer. Phillipstown EMS has either a paid driver or emt or combination.

Putnam is all volunteer. City of Middletown is a Combination Department. The others that will eventually go to career are the ones with paid custodians. They punch out for the alarm (now volly) and then are allowed to make up ot on the weekends. Some on the way are Cronomer Valley, Middle Hope, and Mechanicstown. The best paid is West Point FD. You must have your ducks in a row for them..FF I (national), HazMat Ops (national), and EMT.

All of the Putnam County Fire Departments are volunteer.  Phillipstown EMS has either a paid driver or emt or combination.

Paid P/T Driver/EMT- I was one of the original 4 hired :D - AWESOME place to work as a tech and they pay well compared to any other commercial agency. It's all 911 work and an AWESOME lil' town. Top notch equipment for a VAC too (ie. LP12 AED HAHAHAHA) !

Rich

FF/EMT-P

City of Newburgh "combo"

City of Middletown

All other departments are volunteer regardless of what titles they want to give people to hang around...mechanics, janitor etc.

Orange County

Career

Newburgh

West Point

Stewart Air National Guard

Combination

City of Middletown

Circumventing the Civil Service System

Middlehope, Mechanicstown, Cromoner Valley

>The best paid is West Point FD. You must have your ducks in a row for them..FF I (national), HazMat Ops (national), and EMT.

I'd have to disagree and say City of Newburgh better hours and lots of fire duty and it's all first due.

I also have to disagree with the west point comment. While they have requirements it doesn't have to be formal.

The best are all the paid departments whom send their probationary firefighters to the structured academy in Westchester. It far exceeds what West Point's hiring requirements are. Same for those whom opt to utilize the BFFT at the State Fire Academy in Montour Falls.

I also have to disagree with the west point comment.  While they have requirements it doesn't have to be formal.

The best are all the paid departments whom send their probationary firefighters to the structured academy in Westchester.  It far exceeds what West Point's hiring requirements are.  Same for those whom opt to utilize the BFFT at the State Fire Academy in Montour Falls.

How does this far exceed the training you need to get in the door for West Point? To get in the door for entree level now at WP you need the following

NATIONAL FF 1 + 2

NATIONAL HAZMAT AWARNESS, OPS, AND TECHNICIAN

NYS EMT AND OR NATIONAL REG EMT

Guess what to get all that...You had to go thru an academy! Or have a national instructor come in to teach all of the requirements. I know of a few that have gone thru academys all over the USA.

Airforce fire academy,Fort Momonth, and others to be frank.

So what isn't formal about that?

There are other academys out there besides Westchester believe me.... :rolleyes:

:huh:

Edited by dodffdog

Circumventing the Civil Service System = scabs

You bet they are scabs!

What really kills me is you would think the City Of Newburgh,, who is under staffed to began with wouldn't put up a stink about that??

As far as best job in OC it can be broken down to this

Best money... West Point... I belive you start out as much as a Newburgh LT. but not everyday action.

Best Action.... Newburgh... but you run the risk of 3 guys on a engine company

West Point 72 hour workweek

Everyone else 40 hours

West Point 72 hour workweek

Everyone else 40 hours

True that is a con of it.. That is under goverment control.

the irony is that cronomer and middle hope both go mutual aid to newburgh with their lawn maintenance technicians

i guess if newburgh needs their lawn mowed or their floors swept, they are set

When I referred to it not having to be formal, it was in regard to applying for the job. I'm not reducing the abilities of the personnel there, I am friends with quite a few and they are talented and well respected firefighters. Particulary because I started off in the professional fire service as a federal firefighter.

What I was referring to is that you can apply and as long as you meet the requirements you can get hired without any requirement of a formal fire academy. Any and all training you get as a volunteer as long as it fits and others that exceeds the requirements count.

When you graduate from the Westchester Career Academy you get:

National FF 1 and 2

Truck Company Operations

Haz Mat Operations (which awareness falls into)

EVOC

AO-Pump

AO-Aerial

FF Survival

FAST

Rescue Tech Basic

SAAT WMD Awareness

Certified First Responder

Codes Compliance Tech

AVET

So to reiterate I'm not saying their training isn't formal. But who gets more hours?

When I referred to it not having to be formal, it was in regard to applying for the job.  I'm not reducing the abilities of the personnel there, I am friends with quite a few and they are talented and well respected firefighters.  Particulary because I started off in the professional fire service as a federal firefighter.

What I was referring to is that you can apply and as long as you meet the requirements you can get hired without any requirement of a formal fire academy.  Any and all training you get as a volunteer as long as it fits and others that exceeds the requirements count.

When you graduate from the Westchester Career Academy you get:

National FF 1 and 2

Truck Company Operations

Haz Mat Operations (which awareness falls into)

EVOC

AO-Pump

AO-Aerial

FF Survival

FAST

Rescue Tech Basic

SAAT WMD Awareness

Codes Compliance Tech

AVET

So to reiterate I'm not saying their training isn't formal.  But who gets more hours?

10-4 I understand

Being an Orange County fireman,I'll tell you what the deal with the different departments being paid,combination...etc.

West Point - Full paid...and no,its not all national certs. to get there...its all DOD

certs. , My Chief is a Captain there. We are second in with a fast team, ladder, engine, whatever they need.

City of Newburgh- Full Paid, and they do a hell of a job with what they have, My Asst. Chief is FF/Driver there and the Chief of Newburgh lives down the street from me.They hold their own and are some of the best firemen i've had the pleasure to see work/work with, My Dept. goes Mutual Aid there with our tower.

Stewart Air National Guard- Full Paid...again...all DOD and it is staffed by Military personel.

Middletown- Combination...paid drivers

Mechanicstown- Combination...paid drivers

Cronomer Valley and Middle Hope, i wouldn't say they are circumventing, but they pay members to do work around the firehouse and kind of stick around the firehouse for the day...if you know what i mean.

Mechanicstown Housemen 45,000k (Hrs 8am -4 pm) Certs(FF 1 , EMT, CDL)

also looking into a paid fire Chief.

Being an Orange County fireman,I'll tell you what the  deal with the different departments being paid,combination...etc.

West Point - Full paid...and no,its not all national certs. to get there...its all DOD   

certs. , My Chief is a Captain there. We are second in with a fast team, ladder, engine, whatever they need.

Guess what ?? DOD certs are National certs :)

Next time ask Jeff before you post

Stewart Air National Guard is part military, part state. In order to get in there to start you must have a military f/f back round. Easiest way is to go guard, and hope u can get the full time state job. Alot of there work is M/A to the City of Newburgh. Due to some contract agreement they can only provide FAST services to them, however once on scene there job can change, and it usually does. Most City of Newburgh guys have a problem workin with the vollies, but no problem w/ the guard. Vollies usually dont get to the scene unless its real good.

Middletown is combo with career firefighters. No such thing as a paid driver. If you happen to find the civil service test for a paid driver let me know.