Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

SOP s

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering how many depts have written SOP's. If you are a member of a Dept that has them please post. If your dept does not have them please do not post. Lets keep it positive please

Turk my dept. has very few, but I wanted to compliment you on bringing up a serious topic that deserves discussion. More important is who has them, but are they enforcing them also.

The answer most experienced firefighters would give is...not enough.

Our current chiefs have started with the process of creating the SOG's that our dept is to operate by. Its been pretty good so far and has encouraged alot of input from the members as to how to adjust and tweak them to be effective.

My FD has 'em - but they're referred to as "Suggested Operating Guidelines." They cover things from responses to TIC ops to CO incidents to PPV / PPA. We just recently held a review class for our Department Officers.

We also have S.O.G.'s that are fairly detailed, and cover various items from dress codes and hydrant maintenance to major incident response. Though all good SOG's are a work in progess. They must be constantly reviewed to ensure the SOG's are directing the department to achieve the desired level of service to the community (which we should always strive to improve). Our chief officers work hard to ensure that our SOG's remain dynamic. Another point is to ensure that all personnel have a copy or are exposed to a copy (in my department we are issued a binder, which we sign for), and that you include SOG's in your training.

you can call them sop's--you can call them sog's- you can call them just about anything-- just have them and use them and review them. update them.

you should include things like 1910.134, 1910.156, 1910.120, if you dont know what those things are you better find out. also look at NFPA standards. allof that might help you.